Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
If the firewall or floor is not cut more than 1 sq. ft. then the answer to both is NO.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,043 Posts
Does it matter where the firewall has been modified? I thought I read in the NHRA rulebook that if the trans tunnel area was modifed more than 1 square foot then you needed a dash bar. I am actually calling Division 1 tomorrow about this. I need to cut a 22" long by 4" high piece out of the firewall up by the windshield where the wiper motor and wipers used to be.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was under the impression, per the rule book, that as long as the firewall / transmission tunnel area is modified less than 1 square foot for transmission acces then you don't need a dash bar. It doesn't make any mention of a rocker bar. My S & W cage kit did not come with rocker bar, so I don't think they're required, but if you have the material it might not be a bad idea to put one in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Per NHRA Rulebook Section 4:11: "Unless an OEM framerais is located below and outside of the driver's legs(i.e. '55 Chevy, '65 Corvette, etc) a rocker or sill bar, minimus 1 5/8-inch x .083 CM or .118 MS or a 2-inch x 2-inch x .058 inch CM or MS rectangular, is mandatory in any car WITH a modified floor or rocker box within the roll-cage uprights excluding 6 square feet of transmission maintenance opening). "
"On cars requiring a roll cage, if the OEM firewall has been modified (in excess of 1 square foot for transmission removal, not including bolted in components) a lower windshield or dash bar of 1 1/4 x .058-inch 4130 chromoly or 1 1/4 x .118-inch mild steel is mandatory connecting the forward cage supports."

So once again I say if the floor is not cut and the firewall is not cut you DO NOT need the dash bar or rocker.
I do not understand how this could be interpreted any other way...........Toni

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info fellas. Looks like i need a rocker bar i have a backhalf car and factory floor pans have been replaced up to the the door jamb. Guess its time to order a 25.5 book if i pull the car apart to add one bar probably just worth adding whatever else i need for a 25.5 cert.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Per NHRA Rulebook Section 4:11: "Unless an OEM framerais is located below and outside of the driver's legs(i.e. '55 Chevy, '65 Corvette, etc) a rocker or sill bar, minimus 1 5/8-inch x .083 CM or .118 MS or a 2-inch x 2-inch x .058 inch CM or MS rectangular, is mandatory in any car WITH a modified floor or rocker box within the roll-cage uprights excluding 6 square feet of transmission maintenance opening). "
"On cars requiring a roll cage, if the OEM firewall has been modified (in excess of 1 square foot for transmission removal, not including bolted in components) a lower windshield or dash bar of 1 1/4 x .058-inch 4130 chromoly or 1 1/4 x .118-inch mild steel is mandatory connecting the forward cage supports."

So once again I say if the floor is not cut and the firewall is not cut you DO NOT need the dash bar or rocker.
I do not understand how this could be interpreted any other way...........Toni
i know what the rule book state's,everyone of the nhra guy's that does Cert's wants one on the driver side if the frame is not outside the driver. REGARDLESS.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,043 Posts
I agree with Gary, they want that bar, except in my case they said I was ok. I have my 2x3 subframe connectors located at the rocker sills on my car and are directly underneath the 6x6 plates for my cage. They said that those subframe connectors were better than the 1 5/8" tubing most people use and I did not need any additional lower bars on my cage.

·
Registered
207 Posts
perhaps they need to rewrite the rule book if all the inspectors really would like to see a rocker bar used in unibody applications.

·
FAQU
2,488 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas. Looks like i need a rocker bar i have a backhalf car and factory floor pans have been replaced up to the the door jamb. Guess its time to order a 25.5 book if i pull the car apart to add one bar probably just worth adding whatever else i need for a 25.5 cert.
Check your PM's

·
Registered
545 Posts
i know what the rule book state's,everyone of the nhra guy's that does Cert's wants one on the driver side if the frame is not outside the driver. REGARDLESS.
He did not ask what your inspector liked. He asked if it was required. It is not. Just trying to answer the man's question from the rule book. Glad to know you know what the rule book states. When you say every one of the NHRA guys who certify want it, that statement is also incorrect. Not sure how they do it in Michigan, but on this side of the world the inspector requires what is in the rule book.
On a brighter note, you have some cool looking projects coming out of your shop..............Toni

·
Registered
198 Posts
x2
He did not ask what your inspector liked. He asked if it was required. It is not. Just trying to answer the man's question from the rule book. Glad to know you know what the rule book states. When you say every one of the NHRA guys who certify want it, that statement is also incorrect. Not sure how they do it in Michigan, but on this side of the world the inspector requires what is in the rule book.
On a brighter note, you have some cool looking projects coming out of your shop..............Toni

1 - 16 of 16 Posts