Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have been Attempting to Get some Info on this Class and It seems that I must be asking the wrong Questions, Some of us Old Farts that Hang on Chevyhiperformance forum really are interested in knowing about car and engine combo's that work and what doesn't. Henry is the editor of CHP and a friend to the class and only 1 person from here looked in and I suppose I asked the wrong Question because he hasn't come back, I KNOW ya'll ain't Skeered of a bunch of old people so how about some Honest Help. Yes I can Wait till Ducks Race and Go Look for Myself and I am not asking for Secrets just basics. Yes we have a set of Tim's(WCHR) rules but there is a good bit of Interpretation required. Tim seemed quite sure you Guy's would willingly drop in and Talk to us (ME) So what's up. I do take this sort of response Personally as I try to treat people as good as I want them to treat Me, but what the Heck, If you Don't Like Me NOW, ya Ain't Gonna Like Me Later.........

·
Registered
804 Posts
Looking at rules for a CA organization is not the way to go; unless you plan on travelling. Look at race organizations closer to you and talk to them about rules. As for combonations, there is a wide variety of cars from BB and SB nitrous to twin turbo smalll blocks and centrifugal blown small blocks that are all competitive. One this that most of these cars have in common are good electronics for power management. So, you better brush up on your laptop skills.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Crow, nobody scared me off. I work in the movie industry and have been working 18hr days. I havent responded to much of anything the last couple of days

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What exactly are you looking for ? Specific combo information? suspension setups? etc? There are a ton of guys on who aren't secret squirrel on the info and would gladly help. Ask some direct questions and I'm sure you will get answers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crow, nobody scared me off. I work in the movie industry and have been working 18hr days. I havent responded to much of anything the last couple of days
I knew you worked in the Industry,didn't know your Hours. at 61 I don't think I could hang. Sometimes you got to Slap the Donkey on the Ass and , well........

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exactly are you looking for ? Specific combo information? suspension setups? etc? There are a ton of guys on who aren't secret squirrel on the info and would gladly help. Ask some direct questions and I'm sure you will get answers.
Yes , sorta.. Like a torque arm chassis works as well as ladder bars but who gets a 4-link, or 3-link a fox body gets a tubular K-member in front and Struts so what about a 3rd gen Camaro, an all iron bb doesn't get any better than an 88mm turbo but an aftermarket SB can be as big 434 or so and all aluminum but get TWO 76mm turbo's. what can be done to a G-Body, Is an Early Camaro(or any leaf spring car) still a leaf Spring Car? I'm to invested in GM stuff to go Ford or the others so most concern is there, but with Parody .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at rules for a CA organization is not the way to go; unless you plan on travelling. Look at race organizations closer to you and talk to them about rules. As for combonations, there is a wide variety of cars from BB and SB nitrous to twin turbo smalll blocks and centrifugal blown small blocks that are all competitive. One this that most of these cars have in common are good electronics for power management. So, you better brush up on your laptop skills.
So Mike ,What makes your car a 1/2 second Faster than the Outlaw 8.5 class. rules or tire/ chassis ?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
What ever it rolled out of the factory with is considered stock susp. So if it had leafs than leafs are factory susp. if it had a torque arm from the factory its considered stock susp.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What ever it rolled out of the factory with is considered stock susp. So if it had leafs than leafs are factory susp. if it had a torque arm from the factory its considered stock susp.
That would be it! Pretty much any car with a removable k-frame like the Mustangs gets the tubular replacement allowed. 4-link stuff isn't common for us but the standard Mustang rear is pretty close :) Factory style mounting/replacement is what you're gonna see for almost all organizations.

And Mike was on a 275 for the 4 sec blast! The "faster" 8.5 guys are in the 5.teens now around the same MPH or higher. Things are progressing quickly on the little spare tires!

As far as the combo's, of course BB stuff will be more limited, no matter if you choose to run a shitty head combo or not, you still have that choice being a BB to run some huge stuff. You aren't being penalized, you just aren't using the rules to your advantage while building a combo to compete. If that makes any sense haha

·
Registered
804 Posts
So Mike ,What makes your car a 1/2 second Faster than the Outlaw 8.5 class. rules or tire/ chassis ?
I've only raced a few 8.5 races and have been 5.21 on the Hoosier and 5.24 on the Mickey. I mostly ran 275's last year. I have a BB chevy with a single stage of nitrous in a leaf spring Camaro. The trick to this class is power management. You need to make lots of power but leave on very little. I really think a centrifugal supercharger is the way to go in this class. If I was to start fresh it would be a gear driven centrifugal on a small block chevy in a mustang.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only secret I can think of to have a clear advantage in this or any class for that matter is DEEP POCKETS $$$$$$$
It would be real hard to say what combo/car would have a difinitive advantage as there hasn't really been anything that has run away from the class.
Honestly I think you just need to pick something and dedicate the time to making it work ,leafspring/fox body/G-body/torque arm/etc. they all have been proven to work you just have to spend the time and make them work

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is good stuff, I tried to see the Texas Rules but no link,read the Mid-west, So East coasters How about it, I live in Ga. so how about it, Like who runs this as a regular Show or Series say NY- Fla. north Carolina and S.Ga. to Mississippi. is there a series here in the South? but don't stop with Info about Set-ups this is what I needed to hear, So thanx everyone. Hey Big E I ain't got deep pockets but have big Ideas/Heart

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
O T T A runs 8.5 in Tx.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O T T A runs 8.5 in Tx.
Kool pic in the avatar, is that the Terell Elf, I remember the Car not sure who built it, but the Reason was F1 would only Allow a 13" wheel thus keeping brake rotor size down/keeping Speeds down, so they Doubled up. and then they moved them Inboard. smart people

1 - 20 of 110 Posts