Yellow Bullet Forums banner

8.40's @160, 2450lbs, 950 HP

16K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  inferno camaro 
#1 ·
I've got other threads about the performance of the car. After running it most of the summer I can't get any more out of it. I have figured out the converter is too tight but it doesn't seem like that would hurt ET and MPH that much. The car runs 8.40's at 160 with 3000 DA, 1.19'-1.20 60'. The engine made 946 @ 6900 corrected hp. The car weighs 2450 with driver, has 2.10 rossler 3 spd 400.
By the calculators its only making about 850 corrected hp . I'm trying to decide what to do this winter. I'm going to increase stall from 5600 on the hit to around 6400 and debating on cam, heads, intake work (again) . Just had the heads (Dart 345's )fully ported and put 2.35 valves in them this spring. Intake is sniper 2 and was told it didn't need much work and only port matched it but I've had others tell me that intake need a lot of work.
Any real world #'s of Wwat are others running with similar setups?

#3 ·
I may be wrong but I'll tell you what I've noticed. In my class (N/SS) there are more than a few motors dynoed at 900+ at various places. Mine has never been on a dyno. The calculators say mine is around 865-875. My car is at .20-.60 quicker than any of these. It also runs the same ET and better mph than one car that dynoed over 1000. Are all the dyno's wrong? Or are the calculators wrong. For comparison last weekend at Norwalk, 3350lbs, 9.132@148.44@1855 D/A
Doug

#4 · (Edited)
You will never make good power at 6900 peak.I would say dyno is on happy side and track showing you the truth.if you are going to loosen stall up to 6400 you better be able to turn some rpm to cover that.your intake track has a cork in it or cam area and or valve train needs attention.have 572-12.6 to 1 comp single dom on pump gas goin 5.40s @3285 lbs with a glide and street tires and mufflers.this car only 60s At 1.24 area.That's why I always am never excited about small heads on bigger engines.I think you could do 940hp.put some heads on it and do 1060-1090.

#6 ·
14:5 compression,4/7 swap cam 285 296 @ .050 .438 lobe lift, 111 lsa. 1250 APD carb. I was going to get different heads but head porter said they could be made right ( obviously didn't work) he also said the intake was good out of box except for port matching. I'm planning on bumping shifts up to 7500.

#21 ·
The car runs 8.40's at 160 with 3000 DA, 1.19'-1.20 60'. The engine made 946 @ 6900 corrected hp. The car weighs 2450 with driver
Any real world #'s of Wwat are others running with similar setups?
My old car weighs the same as yours and ran 8teens 167ish with a 565 that dynoed 875ish hp. In my opinion, your 60' ET and MPH are within range of a car that is consistent and working right.

Pay attention to the MPH because that is the best gauge of hp. Based upon mph, your concern that the car should be faster doesn't appear to be anything other than lack of hp.

Sounds like the dyno was off by a large margin and that is easy to do, and has been done by less experienced or less skilled builders ever since I've been racing to make them look like better builders.

#22 ·
That is what I thought mine should run. I assume its lacking hp but not sure why. The car seems to work well just seems lazy. I didn't know if a dyno being off 100 hp was possible, and by everyone elses builds mine should be making over 900 easy just not sure why its not. The dyno it was on is a private dyno that he only uses for his race team and 1 other shop to tune there engines. He builds engines and is crew chief for Arnie Martel who runs pro comp.

#41 ·
You can throw cams and gears and carbs etc for the rest of your life at it.you have 580 plus inch to feed .until you get your csa prob fixed this thing will never rpm or make any power.it really is that simple.these other little bandaids being discussed are just that.look at guys that do make good power and look at what they are using.guys always want to make this way more difficult than it needs to be.those heads can make 900 -930 hp on your combo.if that's what you want then fine.if you want that size motor to actually run what it should then you need to quit wasting time and put that money towards parts that will do it.you are running numbers that cars 700 lbs more than yours run with that cubic inch.

#42 · (Edited)
I thought I was going the right direction letting a head porter tell me what I needed. I told him I didn't want to put money in heads that are still too small and not going be optimum (in a conventional style head) so I didn't have to change pistons, and was told when he was done they would be right for it. Obviously that was not correct. I was even going to buy the heads he suggested but was told these would be as good as any when done. So who do I listen to is the question.
This thing was originally build by APD with these parts, another reputable engine builder.

#46 ·
Example of engine with heads your size
4.350-4.250- 12.35 to 1 comp.
Dart steel 345 fully ported
Dart single dom manifold
Single dom carb on pump gas
Went 8.89 @153 today at 3330 lbs with glide and street tires and mufflers.by no mean a killer bee..best 1/8th was 5.61@121

#48 ·
That seems like its making quite a bit more power than mine and a smaller displacement. Makes me think something is really wrong in my combo besides heads.
By the Wallace calculator my 584 is making 815 and that 505 is making 945 with the same size heads I have and 80 cubes less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.