Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a sport chassis kw with a 8.3 cummins has 110k original miles on it. Did some research before I bought it and couldn't find much really on it so thought I'd ask some of you here that maybe have had some experience with these motors. Have talked to a few mechanics who have said these motors if taken care of properly will go a million miles easy. It's a 99 yr model and doesn't use a drop of oil or leaks anywhere. Pulls my 53' trailer effortlessly and I really enjoy the air brakes for extra stopping power if needed. So are these motors really longevity motors if taken care of obviously etc? If I decided to turn the power up later is that feasible with a tune or what not? Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah it's doing great so far. Just wanted to get some opinions.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Before I bought mine I asked several people I know locally that has been using them in their business,, they all gave examples of 400k mile engines they have had personally.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly probably won't ever put 400k on it as long as I live lol Just dont travel far to races much anymore.

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,915 Posts
they used the isc in alot of applications, buses, trucks, etc.... solid engine... has removable liners if you ever need to inframe it......

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I agree...every sport chassis type truck I looked at had the Cat..just not a big fan of those motors.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I do not have a bunch of knowledge about the ISC but we do have one in our motorhome. I have read (can't remember where) that the engine is good for 800K miles before they recommend an in-frame rebuild. They did not even recommend a valve adjustment until 150K. Not sure what injection pump you have but if it's the CAPPS pump just be careful. There were a bunch of failures on RV's due to the pump not having a dedicated, full time lift pump. The stock lift pump only runs 30 seconds to prime the engine then bypasses and the injection pump has to draft the fuel the rest of the time. In an RV that's not good as it's drafting from a tank up front with the engine in the back. That's 27 foot of fuel suction on our RV. Like many others I just added a full time FASS pump so the injection pump is never starved. This may not even be an issue on your truck. It's also best to use a good OAT coolant as there was a problem with cavitation in the cooling system eating through the liners and then into the engine. Anyways sounds like you found a great truck. I would never want a C-7 Cat either. Lots of problems.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all that info! I'm not sure if it has the Capps pump or not but I will check it out. I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who is a diesel mechanic and he raved about the 8.3. He said it should do about 800k plus like you mentioned before a rebuild. Itll never see that while I have that.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
E
I appreciate all that info! I'm not sure if it has the Capps pump or not but I will check it out. I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who is a diesel mechanic and he raved about the 8.3. He said it should do about 800k plus like you mentioned before a rebuild. Itll never see that while I have that.
Exactly. Ours has about 65K miles. I doubt we will ever see 100K on it. It has a couple of oil leaks but nothing major. On ours when changing the oil it takes 22 quarts to get to the fill line on the dip stick. It will blow 2 quarts of oil out the down tube before it stops so every oil change I have learned to just put in 20 quarts no matter what the dipstick shows...lol.

We regularly tow our Honda pilot behind it without any problems. On big climbs it does slow down some but I can down shift and keep usually pass the larger trucks.

As far as tuning goes there are a couple of companies that offer modules that go in between the ECM and the injection pump but it's not a true tune. It's only a "fooler" or manipulator meaning it alters the signal. I have wanted to try one but it just runs too good like it is. We are also limited by the Allison trans and what it can handle. I would imagine if you have a truck it's most likely a standard which more than likely pulls like a mule on steroids...lol. There are a couple of companies that can make a tune for the ISC but I believe it's fairly expensive. Years ago Banks made a turbo upgrade kit for the ISC but they no longer produce it anymore. Some guys who had them in an RV said it made great power and was very reliable. Not sure why they stopped making it. Probably emission.

Anyways I believe they are really reliable engines. Pulling a large race car type trailer with that ISC should be no problem especially if you have a standard trans with a few gears. One more thing....not sure what kind of mileage you will get but if we keep ours around 62 mph in fair conditions we have seen over 10 mpg and that's pulling the Honda which weighs 4500 pounds and also loaded with 100 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of fresh water. Total weight is prolly somewhere around 38K combined.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have been a good source of info I appreciate that! Mine has the allison 3060 trans. Only problem I've had so far at it's been minor is that when it's somewhat still cold and I push the drive button on the trans it will go into a limp mode in the trans..won't shift. Once it gets some heat in the motor it won't do it. Only does it in the cold weather not in the summer so I'm thinking the trans fluid being thicker is causing it to do that. Not picking up a sensor or something in the trans..but once it gets a little heat it's fine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
An older Motorhome with a 8.3 ISC and 3000 series Allison is an awesome combo. there are still upgrades available

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
You have been a good source of info I appreciate that! Mine has the allison 3060 trans. Only problem I've had so far at it's been minor is that when it's somewhat still cold and I push the drive button on the trans it will go into a limp mode in the trans..won't shift. Once it gets some heat in the motor it won't do it. Only does it in the cold weather not in the summer so I'm thinking the trans fluid being thicker is causing it to do that. Not picking up a sensor or something in the trans..but once it gets a little heat it's fine.
I think the 3060 Allison is rated for 300HP/950TQ. If you tune it or make some upgrades just be aware of that. Most of those Allison's use Transynd which is pretty pricey. I serviced ours with new fluid and filters and it shifted much smoother. The trans filters are very easily changed. Price of everything was the only thing that was hard...lol. Sounds like you have a great tow rig. If it pulls good and you can keep up with traffic I would leave it alone. Just keep fresh fuel filters on it and use a good diesel additive to keep the injectors happy and it will prolly last you a life time.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it does very well. It's a 350hp and 1000lb ft torque. The hp badge is on the block. I didnt want anything under 325hp due to the weight of my 53'. But it's a solid truck and I'm happy with it. When I got it it just had been serviced by a kw dealer..they put new filters, did oil change, serviced it and I've put maybe 2000 miles on it since??

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I would leave it alone and just enjoy it. Keep some good maintenance on it with name brand oil and filters and it will do ya good.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's definitely the plan. Appreciate all the info you gave me.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Anytime man. I am by no means an expert in the ISC but I am a member on an RV forum and they got some real educated cats on those Cummins engines. I read a lot and try to learn as much about them (ISC) as I can. If I can ever help let me know. Best of luck to ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts