Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at longer range rifle.

Seems not a lot of manufacturers make rifles in this round.

Any suggestions from you guys?

Looking at between $500 and $1000 range

Thinking non stainless since I will be replacing the barrel later on with a custom one.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I can only make one suggestion and it's based on experience from only one gun of this type caliber. I Ruger M77 mark II in .270 WSM and don't like the action at all. After a few total hours of working the bolt back and forth and polishing every contact point I can see it's much smoother than it was out of the box which was horrible. It appears a lot of the problem lies in the diameter of the brass being so big. Seems to make it hard for the bolt to push it forward and out of the mag well. Just seems to cause a lot more drag. Maybe it's just the way my gun is made but based on my limited experience with short mags, I wouldn't recommend one of any caliber to anybody. My gun is the first one I've ever seen, of all the deer rifles I've ever had my hands on, that was this hard for the bolt to push a round forward and get it started into the chamber. Once it pops up out of the mag well it's smooth sailing from there. I guess I shouldn't talk bad about my gun too much. I did blow the heart of doe that was about 400 yds away in half about a week ago. Never tried a shot that far before but it presented itself, I tried it and the deer is in the cooler waiting to be processed.

Anyway you might want to try the action on one before you buy it.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If you start with a stainless barrel, then you usually have a stainless action to build on later. If you are planning to swap barrels down the road, then you really only have 2 viable options. Remington or savage. They are the most common for barrel swaps. Savage seems to be gaining a lot of ground on Remington in the aftermartket.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I have a savage 116 FCSS 7mm WSM. I have no problems with the action or cycling shells, etc.

I have only shot the rifle about 25 times, while trying to develop a load. So far I have got it down to a hair under an inch at 100 yds. It can do better, but I haven't had time to mess with it much lately.

I like the rifle so far.

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input

Remmy doesnt make them and savage doesnt list the caliber on their site.

I did find a couple stores with savages but were out of stock

want to sell it skos? :)

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
thanks for the input

Remmy doesnt make them and savage doesnt list the caliber on their site.

I did find a couple stores with savages but were out of stock

want to sell it skos? :)
What about building a Savage? I can point you to where to get all the parts (Action and barrel - add stock to taste). You'd probably end up with something nicer for the same price. All you'd have to do is either buy a barrel vice, action wrench and headspace gauges, or pay a 'smith $35-50 to screw the barrel on for you.

I traded a 'smith a box of Sierra 2155's I had sitting on the shelf to screw on my barrel, and he had it done in under 10 minutes. Now that I've seen how easy it was...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
What about building a Savage? I can point you to where to get all the parts (Action and barrel - add stock to taste). You'd probably end up with something nicer for the same price. All you'd have to do is either buy a barrel vice, action wrench and headspace gauges, or pay a 'smith $35-50 to screw the barrel on for you.

I traded a 'smith a box of Sierra 2155's I had sitting on the shelf to screw on my barrel, and he had it done in under 10 minutes. Now that I've seen how easy it was...

Where is the cheapest place to get a stainless 116 action with .308 bolt face along with a barrel nut?

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to get a stainless 116 action with .308 bolt face along with a barrel nut?
Northlander Shooting Supplies, usually.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,37874.0.html

Looks like he only has 16s, no 116s

He does have a 112 stainless with .473 boltface with the 4.41" screw spacing for $390 right now, though.

And for the OP, it looks like he only has Blued/Matte right-handed actions for the 7WSM right now. Accu-trigger and all, $325

Those prices are for receiver, complete bolt assembly, factory trigger, magazine and follower, factory recoil lug and barrel nut

Or, Jinx, they do have a 116 stainless action with .473 boltface in a Savage OE synthetic stock (no barrel) for $475.

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Donut you rule, if you lived closer I'd pay a hooker to tickle your ass with a feather :smt082

·
Registered
927 Posts
I like my Winchester M70 in 7WSM, but I'm fully aware it's an affectation simply due to my desire for controlled round feed. The 7WSM was and is very popular in the unlimited class long range F-class stuff, if that's your goal, you can probably find a built rifle that someone's selling to make the rent or cover the divorce. Not the nicest way to do things, but I've found it very effective. S/F....ken M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts