Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my last '86 didn't have the conversion done, but had 4-lug Aerospace brakes and Bogart wheels, so a conversion was not needed.

My street car is an '85 and currently has the normal 4-lug brake/wheel setup up front. My rear has already been converted with the Currie Enterprises 9" rearend.

I just bought new Alumastar 2.0 wheels for all corners. So, now I need to convert the front to 5-lug. I seem to remember the '79-'86 cars spindles/rotors/struts/front control arms were a little different than the '87-'93 cars, therefore a simple hub/rotor change can not be made to make the swap simple. I did hear you can use shims or washers on the '79-'86 struts to make them work with the '87-'93 stuff that would need to be used. I also remember hearing guys swapout everything for SN95 parts, but I don't want to do that because I can't use that setup with the new front wheels due to the SN95's 12"-13" rotors and bigger caliper.

So, is there a complete kit out there that can be bought to make this happen or will I have to piece all this stuff together separately to make the change?

I'm just wanting to use aftermarket stock-type replacement struts, upgraded factory-type OEM rotors/calipers and '87-'93 spindles with this conversion. No coilover struts, no tubular k-member or control arms or aftermarket brakes, its a street car only. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start ripping this frontend apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Wes just get some 87 and up spindles for the 11" rotors then get some rotors off any 87-91 mark 7 they fit right on the mustang spindles then add shims to the struts to bolt them up to the spindles.I want to say you need 1/8" shims

also get the calipers from the mark 7 also as the piston size is bigger than the mustang.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,964 Posts
On a 79-85 you just use 83-84 Ford Ranger front rotors and re-use the stock calipers and spindles. This yields a 10" 5 lug front brake system.

If you want to go to 87-93 stuff you need complete spindles, calipers, and 88-89 Lincoln Mark 7 rotors. This yields 11" 5 lug front brakes, but the lincoln rotors make wheel selection difficult due to the diameter of the center of the rotor under the bearing dust cap. This is the combo I run on my car. I have 2 piece alumastar fronts and they fit though.

The A-arms are interchangeable, so no need to swap them.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The Mustang Depot has hawks racing slotted rotors on ebay for $100 a set NEW. 5lug specific conversion rotor. Uses the normal bearings and seals. 87-93 spindle is needed.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
or...... if you want a rotor that fits 100% correct then use the 84/85 SVO brake rotor.

I found when using the mark 7 rotors the top of the brake pad actually overhangs the top of the rotor by roughly an 1/8". The SVO rotors are actaully a hair larger than the mark 7 rotors and eliminated this problem.

This is based off both brand new rotors....

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,964 Posts
The Mustang Depot has hawks racing slotted rotors on ebay for $100 a set NEW. 5lug specific conversion rotor. Uses the normal bearings and seals. 87-93 spindle is needed.
The lincoln rotors use the same seals and bearings as a mustang, the difference in diameter is external. I'm not aware of any Mustang rotor available in 5 lug without the lincoln outer dimensions, and I did alot of homework on the matter before I swapped mine. I'd have TMD put a mic on it and send you the dimensions. I just mic'd mine and its 2.75" diameter.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
T-bolt do you have a source for SVO rotors? They have been obsolete for a decade, and I wasn't aware that anyone was reproducing them.

century castings produces them so i know they can be had under different brands. They are still able to be ordered through oreilly's under the wagner brand. I ordered a set maybe 2 years ago. 60 bucks a piece for new rotors with a lifetime warranty.......

The store I used to work at still carries them in stock, probably cause I made my manager do that and they dont ever pull stock at a hub store.

BD60789 is the wagner number.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,964 Posts
Cool.

Also, if any of you guys elect to do as I did with 87-93 spindles/calipers and Mark 7 rotors... If you have a buddy deal at O'reilleys you're in luck. I paid just over $100 for reman calipers, bearings, races, seals, pads, and rotors!

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Yup.. I went to pep boys for my rotors. Lincoln Mark7 rotors with all the bearings and new brakes pads for $150. I have never seen a strut manufactured for just the 87-93 spindle. All the struts I have pruchased have the shims with them so they fit everything from 79-93.
I know you can order the shims from Lakewood.
Spindles can be gotten new from Pep Boys or Kragen as well.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool. Thanks for all the info guys, thats makes it pretty simple.

cmccarthy,

I have the 1-piece Alumastar fronts with 2.25" backspacing. What year is your car and also, looks like you are running a spacer behind your wheels? Wheels hit the caliper?

Did you guys have to change any of the brake line stuff? How was your "pedal" after the change?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I 've heard that the svo rotors set the wheel out a little, any truth to that?

And as for strut specific, I have the adj strange struts that are 87-93 v8 specific. they have an incert thats spot welded into place whichs makes them too narrow to fit the earlier spindles. I've been told I could knock the incert out, but I don't think I'll take the chance of damaging them.

Mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts