Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
This little video just popped up on my you tube page, shows testing cleveland oiling system. This is the information under the video....

"408 cubic inch Cleveland engine with roller camshaft and oiling system mods. Oiling system consists of a stock Melling oil pump in a Canton pan. The block has been modified with lifter bore bushings in the right side gallery that have a .020 hole to meter the oil to the lifters. The left side gallery has been restricted with a pipe plug that's drilled with a .050 hole. In this video I'm turning the oil pump by hand using a speed handle to show how much oil actually comes through holes like these, the engine has about 75psi oil pressure when the relief valve is activated."

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Best advertising they could hope for is that Video.

you got this Mopar guy subscribed , Love those Clevelands always had respect for them, My grandfather and my uncle Tony loved em, and would put them in any Ford body they could. had a 408 in my 66 F100, the guy who rents part of my barn is looking to do a 408C for his 77 F100. I've told him to Join YB and stalk your post.
Keep up the good work, and the Vides are good, not too long , and you keep the Viewer interested.
I appreciate your sharing. I should sell him my 408 shortblock, save him alot of time. I do plug a few, but they have helped me, got to give them credit. Thanks again, stay tuned and share.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Part# for Brodix head in the above post was BF 301
Yes there are more heads for sure, especially the brodix, and blue thunder. I forget sometimes when video going, try to keep it smooth. I suck at the videography part, they will get better. Any of those are better than my A3 heads. That is why I want to get a pair of aftermarket, when the time comes. thanks Blake for staying tuned....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This little video just popped up on my you tube page, shows testing cleveland oiling system. This is the information under the video....

"408 cubic inch Cleveland engine with roller camshaft and oiling system mods. Oiling system consists of a stock Melling oil pump in a Canton pan. The block has been modified with lifter bore bushings in the right side gallery that have a .020 hole to meter the oil to the lifters. The left side gallery has been restricted with a pipe plug that's drilled with a .050 hole. In this video I'm turning the oil pump by hand using a speed handle to show how much oil actually comes through holes like these, the engine has about 75psi oil pressure when the relief valve is activated."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_SanxhGXw
Yes, I have seen that too. I think that when the full production of TrackBoss blocks get moving, you will see some 4 digit hp numbers from them. I just wonder what it will be like not to have to worry about, stability and oiling...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes there are more heads for sure, especially the brodix, and blue thunder. I forget sometimes when video going, try to keep it smooth. I suck at the videography part, they will get better. Any of those are better than my A3 heads. That is why I want to get a pair of aftermarket, when the time comes. thanks Blake for staying tuned....
My pleasure, really appreciate the info. You don't suck at videography, doing a good job, it's hard to concentrate on something while talking. Now that you have your block you will be able to play with other heads and not worry but the power you're getting with 1980 Ford parts is what impresses me, especially with a streetable motor not full of light weight parts.
Waiting for next video, lol

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Yes, I have seen that too. I think that when the full production of TrackBoss blocks get moving, you will see some 4 digit hp numbers from them. I just wonder what it will be like not to have to worry about, stability and oiling...

I just figured that a lot of guys looking to build a stock block cleveland are watching your thread and it was just useful information for whoever might want to use it. 900 to 1000hp should not be a problem for the right person with the new block. If they can do with the windsor you can do with the cleveland.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My pleasure, really appreciate the info. You don't suck at videography, doing a good job, it's hard to concentrate on something while talking. Now that you have your block you will be able to play with other heads and not worry but the power you're getting with 1980 Ford parts is what impresses me, especially with a streetable motor not full of light weight parts.
Waiting for next video, lol
Thanks Man, those old parts do pretty well. Yes don't want to look like Bozo's Auto, try and talk concise, and without ummmm,ummmm. Yes that mill runs fine one the street. People really freak out see me coming towards them. Hood scoop is a little too high

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I just figured that a lot of guys looking to build a stock block cleveland are watching your thread and it was just useful information for whoever might want to use it. 900 to 1000hp should not be a problem for the right person with the new block. If they can do with the windsor you can do with the cleveland.
Thank you. I hope it is useful, not a lot of BS, just things that have worked for me. Yes, 1000 hp, no issue, with Scott Cook new race head, flows into 400s, higginns head too, and the Kaase c400, its just a matter of time. Yep, you will see some new parts coming out for sure.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Thank you. I hope it is useful, not a lot of BS, just things that have worked for me. Yes, 1000 hp, no issue, with Scott Cook new race head, flows into 400s, higginns head too, and the Kaase c400, its just a matter of time. Yep, you will see some new parts coming out for sure.

I think you would find that guy that did the video is well respected Ford guy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks Man, those old parts do pretty well. Yes don't want to look like Bozo's Auto, try and talk concise, and without ummmm,ummmm. Yes that mill runs fine one the street. People really freak out see me coming towards them. Hood scoop is a little too high
Hood scoop reminds me of "in your face" 429 boss. The sound of mine turns some heads, seems to be older people probably remembering the good old days and little kids tugging on their moms arm and pointing, lol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hood scoop reminds me of "in your face" 429 boss. The sound of mine turns some heads, seems to be older people probably remembering the good old days and little kids tugging on their moms arm and pointing, lol.
Thanks man. I love the boss 9 scoop, but with the intake I had to build a spacer to get the hood to fit. Don't care for it, but functional.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks man. I love the boss 9 scoop, but with the intake I had to build a spacer to get the hood to fit. Don't care for it, but functional.
I was able to fit the roush intake under the stock 1983 mustang hood scoop by using a drop down filter base and then made an angled spacer to tilt the front of air breather down to close hood. Have the K&N filter lid but definitely not a set up that's helping hp. If the engine isn't tied down it pops the hood scoop off, lol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I was able to fit the roush intake under the stock 1983 mustang hood scoop by using a drop down filter base and then made an angled spacer to tilt the front of air breather down to close hood. Have the K&N filter lid but definitely not a set up that's helping hp. If the engine isn't tied down it pops the hood scoop off, lol.
I also have a drop down base. Always run with air filter. With scoop and carb, and no filter get turbulence, and runs poorly. Air filter on, hang on. You car would look good with similar type scoop. I have been chaining my engine down for last 20+ years. Keeps everything stable. Thinking motor plates....just thinking...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I also have a drop down base. Always run with air filter. With scoop and carb, and no filter get turbulence, and runs poorly. Air filter on, hang on. You car would look good with similar type scoop. I have been chaining my engine down for last 20+ years. Keeps everything stable. Thinking motor plates....just thinking...
I use a piece similar to a tie rod for engine tie down, one end bolts to head other to frame with both ends threaded, still clunky feel but keeps movement to a minimum. I had a plymouth arrow that someone had put a 351 cleveland, FMX tranny and 8" rear in, it used an aluminum plate on each side bolted to the heads then to the frame with thick rubber washers, no motor mounts. when I removed motor realized tranny was just sitting on cross member, no bolts, lol.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I use a piece similar to a tie rod for engine tie down, one end bolts to head other to frame with both ends threaded, still clunky feel but keeps movement to a minimum. I had a plymouth arrow that someone had put a 351 cleveland, FMX tranny and 8" rear in, it used an aluminum plate on each side bolted to the heads then to the frame with thick rubber washers, no motor mounts. when I removed motor realized tranny was just sitting on cross member, no bolts, lol.
...Wut??...

·
Registered
547 Posts
...Wut??...
Ya! I bought it for the block, did drive it home though. It had a frame under it, 4 link, tranny hump removable to get at tranny, exhaust with side dumps. Some rednecks with some talent but no money, which may be a good thing, motor was nothing special but I heard it was in the ditch as much as it was on the road.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Do you know much about the Scott Cook race head?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ya! I bought it for the block, did drive it home though. It had a frame under it, 4 link, tranny hump removable to get at tranny, exhaust with side dumps. Some rednecks with some talent but no money, which may be a good thing, motor was nothing special but I heard it was in the ditch as much as it was on the road.
I emailed you. Darin Morgan working on fixing my afds and tfc intake from previous half ass done job. These will be killer in themselves. Probably not going to use them. He and I have been talking alot, he is going to help me with TrackBoss 427. We are working on head choice now. I think this 427 Cleveland will make some horse power.

41 - 60 of 397 Posts