Yellow Bullet Forums banner

461 - 478 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Looks like that ASK might be a dry deck block Mr.
Yes it sure is. Still has water jackets from what I see. There are small holes, instead of cut out areas. Have to see what it entails to work with regular Cleveland heads. Thanks for watching my friend.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Small holes to allow coolant to heads. Then if a cylinder wall cracked coolant didn't get into the cylinder, I think that was the idea iirc

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Small holes to allow coolant to heads. Then if a cylinder wall cracked coolant didn't get into the cylinder, I think that was the idea iirc
So probably machine holes bigger and close to stock, and run water?

·
Registered
778 Posts
So probably machine holes bigger and close to stock, and run water?
I'm not sure on that. Says the blocks were expensive to machine, involved a complicated procedure to fit the heads and expensive gasket sets. If a sealing ring failed only that cylinder would be affected, pressure leaking to atmospheric rather than cooling system.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Tim the bt heads and a3 have bung holes in front so you can use the windsor style manifold to circulate water through heads.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Tim the bt heads and a3 have bung holes in front so you can use the windsor style manifold to circulate water through heads.
Steve, thanks for contributing. So your saying if you plumb it like a windsor, they that block can be run as is?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Yes nascar plumbed
Steve, thanks for contributing. So your saying if you plumb it like a windsor, they that block can be run as is?
the heads like a clevor. Cleveland heads on windsor block. Circulate the water separate through heads.If you’re using the cast iron heads you can drill the heads in front the same. I cant remember but i think the boss 302 head had the threaded bung in front also. I’ll look when back at shop.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The windsor uses the intake, or piping, for the crossover. This is not the same, this block is to allow the use of dry deck heads. Sealing rings in the heads, like nascar boss 429. Deck drilled to make the water go around the siemese bores properly but caused front of heads to be hot.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
The windsor uses the intake, or piping, for the crossover. This is not the same, this block is to allow the use of dry deck heads. Sealing rings in the heads, like nascar boss 429. Deck drilled to make the water go around the siemese bores properly but caused front of heads to be hot.
Yes def. need to ck it all out. Not sure of what I need to do, with both of what your saying. The owner of the XE block I have gave me quite a history on it. It was original Motosport block. It was actually raced in pro stock classes . Only fitting that it returns on some 340, or 366ci.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
Here is the next video in my You Tube Channel series. The 351 Pro Stock Cleveland,The Mystery is unraveling...slowly.. Lots of new info. Stay Tuned...

Reactions: russxr67

·
Registered
778 Posts
That's a nice collection of rare blocks Tim, really cool that you were able to talk to the original owner. It'll be very interesting to see how the PS build with the XE block and cast heads with the tunnel ram turns out.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
That's a nice collection of rare blocks Tim, really cool that you were able to talk to the original owner. It'll be very interesting to see how the PS build with the XE block and cast heads with the tunnel ram turns out.
Thanks man. Yes crazy how this all happened. I really am excited about this pro stock build. Just have lot of projects going on. Once I get this 409c dynoed, and hopefully no issues, can start getting other blocks ready for machine shop. Thanks for watching and commenting..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Tim, nice vids. Just curious when you mention the XE block, do they have the casting # near the starter with the number if my memory is right, XE192540?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Hey Tim, nice vids. Just curious when you mention the XE block, do they have the casting # near the starter with the number if my memory is right, XE192540?
Yes that is it. Thanks for watching, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
Surprise, is an understatement. Thanks Billy Ray Morgan , for making my day...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes that is it. Thanks for watching, I appreciate it.
I noticed you were goining to eventually sonic that block. I have had 2 of those blocks and can tell you that they are not much thicker than the standard blocks. They were around ..220" - .165" thick on then thrust & non thrust sides and still only had around .095" between cylinders. To my understanding they were Australian castings that were made for H/D application for light trucks and Ambulance use. They did go in some cars at the end of the Cleveland era just to use the remaining stock up. They were commonly refered to as a nascar block and were sort out by the teams at that time. They have solid pan rails. solid main beaing webbing and were supposedly made of of a stronger cast iron. I doubt you will get a big overbore as your expecting. I used those same gold Moroso V/covers as well. They do look nice. All you need now is Moroso # 71200 1/4 turn quick release fasteners to go with them, if you can get hold of any.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
I noticed you were goining to eventually sonic that block. I have had 2 of those blocks and can tell you that they are not much thicker than the standard blocks. They were around ..220" - .165" thick on then thrust & non thrust sides and still only had around .095" between cylinders. To my understanding they were Australian castings that were made for H/D application for light trucks and Ambulance use. They did go in some cars at the end of the Cleveland era just to use the remaining stock up. They were commonly refered to as a nascar block and were sort out by the teams at that time. They have solid pan rails. solid main beaing webbing and were supposedly made of of a stronger cast iron. I doubt you will get a big overbore as your expecting. I used those same gold Moroso V/covers as well. They do look nice. All you need now is Moroso # 71200 1/4 turn quick release fasteners to go with them, if you can get hold of any.
Yes, I know what your saying about the core shift. This is one of the blocks that was sonic tested. These blocks were very limited, they were sold through Ford motosport, and were good for 0.125 over, so I was told by people with them, and Animal Jim. My buddy in Canada has one too. Mine is already filled, so not sure if I can or would bother testing it, I say let her rip. She will breathe fire, one way or another. The ones with unacceptable core shift, were used as you said, used down under for any vehicle, so I have been told. I do like the valve covers, now that I have seen them and mocked it up, I like them. Yes, need some of those gold 1/4 turn releases.... Thank you for contributing, I appreciate it, sounds like you been there, done that....

461 - 478 of 478 Posts