Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest rumor control has 75/80 Dragway having Friday night 1/8th mile racing in 2009. Sources close to Bill have passed this information onto me yesterday. There will be lots of work ahead for all involved. I would volunteer some time myself to help the cause. Boy, wouldn't it be nice for some Friday night racing and a 75/80 chili dog!

Greg

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Rumors went on for probably 10 years or more before it closed. Now all kinds of rumor that it's re-opening.

I suspect it's mostly wishfull thinking on many racers part. The facility was in poor shape when it closed and after being shut down for 3+ years, I'm sure time hasn't done it any favors. I'd suspect it would take a great deal of time and money to being it back to operating condition.

I doubt it'll happen, but if it ever does, I'd go back and run there.

·
Got Woodgrain?
7,815 Posts
Rumors went on for probably 10 years or more before it closed. Now all kinds of rumor that it's re-opening.

I suspect it's mostly wishfull thinking on many racers part. The facility was in poor shape when it closed and after being shut down for 3+ years, I'm sure time hasn't done it any favors. I'd suspect it would take a great deal of time and money to being it back to operating condition.

I doubt it'll happen, but if it ever does, I'd go back and run there.
It has not aged well. Any thing worth anything was auctioned off for charity, the property has just deteriorated and any metals left have been taken "in the night" by thieves for scrap. Word on the street is it will take $250K to get it up and running again, and there is someone ready to write a check to make it happen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran into a local racer last night and he wouldn't deny or confirm what
was told to him from Bill this spring at the O.C. car show. He did say if this becomes a reality it will be a non sanctioned outlaw format.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I drive by the track everyday,it looks like its been 10 years since its been open,hard to believe its only been 3 !! I would love for it to re-open,but 75-80 re-opening is about as believable as big foot:eek:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I drive by the track everyday,it looks like its been 10 years since its been open,hard to believe its only been 3 !! I would love for it to re-open,but 75-80 re-opening is about as believable as big foot:eek:
Any way you could snap a picture of it for us?

I'm a 1000 miles away.:-(

·
Registered
770 Posts
75/80

I won my first round of racing on that track.was a fun place in the 80s
I also won many rounds at that track. I drove a red 55 chev at the time. (Bobby's Toy) I'm in Bradenton now ,working over the track- BMP. Super Stock Bob.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hell I have no clue where it is and I want it to reopen.
This facility has a long history to say the least. Bunny Burkette, The Wild Bunch, OPS and Bill pioneered the first bracket style racing. In the 80's Hot Rod Magazine ran a three paged article on start of Bracket Racing at this track.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
One of the members over on Moparts posted some pics back in June....looks pretty rough :cool:

Rick

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Being at that track every weekend since I was 8 is what got me hooked on this sport. It is sad to drive by there now and see it overgrown. I live 7 miles from there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hard to believe that it only has been a few years since the track closed. A long haul to get everything in order to go racing again. Nothing time and money can't fix!

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
wow, i never knew it closed? is that the track that's in maryland? why did it close? just wondering, i hope it re-opens,sucks when we lose a track!:(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, i never knew it closed? is that the track that's in maryland? why did it close? just wondering, i hope it re-opens,sucks when we lose a track!:(
Yes the track is located in Monrovia, Maryland. Home of Pro Stock Racer Justin Humphries. The track closed due to several reasons. One being the owners health. But he his doing well and this is how the rumors starting flowing!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts