Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Thought I would start a thread in my street going Cuda. Plan is a new tube chassis & twin turbo Hemi upgrade.

Shell all stripped & ready for the build to commence...

Apologies, problems hosting pictures

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chassis Build - Chrome Moly. Car is being built to run in Street Eliminator class (UK)
Previous best was 8.0/172mph, hoping we can improve on that.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are doing some great work on the Cuda!! Love all the detail work!
Thanks mate.

Thought I would share on YB.... I lost my photobucket account, so never bothered previously. Then I was told about another free host :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great Mark. Can you share any details on the CF links. This is going to turn out badass
Hi Shawn.
Yes, the Carbon fiber are strut supports for the rear wing. Previously they were Chrome moly, so thought I would have a go making them out of carbon fibre. I turned up some aluminium inserts & threaded for rod ends. Inserts were an interference fit & bonded.

Not really complicated, just thought they would look nicer. Not a great picture, but hopefully you can see

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi Shawn.
Yes, the Carbon fiber are strut supports for the rear wing. Previously they were Chrome moly, so thought I would have a go making them out of carbon fibre. I turned up some aluminium inserts & threaded for rod ends. Inserts were an interference fit & bonded.

Not really complicated, just thought they would look nicer. Not a great picture, but hopefully you can see

Awesome deal, would you mind sharing what you used for a bonding agent and where you sourced the CF tube?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome deal, would you mind sharing what you used for a bonding agent and where you sourced the CF tube?
The resin was a 2 pack style adhesive from a local glass fibre agent, as the strut is mainly under compression, bond adhesion was less of a concern. That being said, I couldn't pull one out on testing.

I just did a search on line for carbon fiber tubing, I can find out the info, but as I'm in UK, would be cheaper for you to source locally

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to be clear, chassis is not being done by me, its being carried out by a good friend & chassis builder Andy Robinson Race Cars.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The resin was a 2 pack style adhesive from a local glass fibre agent, as the strut is mainly under compression, bond adhesion was less of a concern. That being said, I couldn't pull one out on testing.

I just did a search on line for carbon fiber tubing, I can find out the info, but as I'm in UK, would be cheaper for you to source locally
Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I turned up some aluminium inserts & threaded for rod ends. Inserts were an interference fit & bonded.
I was under the impression that Carbon Fiber and Aluminum didnt get along well being bonded to each other at least from the Aviation industry who doesnt do it (big planes here, not little ones)

Chris

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was under the impression that Carbon Fiber and Aluminum didnt get along well being bonded to each other at least from the Aviation industry who doesnt do it (big planes here, not little ones)

Chris
Hi Chris,
It is true that Aluminium & Carbon are not great choices due to Galavanic Corrosion. This can be somewhat mitigated with anodising. If it was an integral component, I would not advocate this choice of materials.

In my application, the struts are visible with easy access to monitor their condition. If I had some Titanium available at the time, that would of been my preference.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts