Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed over from a mild 400 small block to a pump gas 582 and have been struggling to get the car to hook like it should.

car setup:71 chevelle 3800 lbs w/driver
Drivetrain-
NYES pump gas 582 (784 hp 748 ft lbs)
ultimate converter concepts 9 inch converter 4800 stall
th400 w/ transbrake
12 bolt w/ 3.73 gears
28x 11.50 hoosier QTP's @ 15.5 psi
suspension-
front- stock a arms with qa1 single adjustable coil overs w/300 lb 11 inch springs(arms 3/4 inch off the lower bump stops), sway bar removed
rear- 2 inch drop 130 lb/in spring, qa1 single adjustable shocks, TRZ under axle antiroll bar, TRZ upper control arms, no name rectanguler tube lower control arms, pinion angle is set to 2-2.5 degrees

The car seems to hook initailly and the front end rises but then starts to spin the tires around 2 feet out. I have tired tightening and loosening both sides of the suspension,changing tire pressures and all I have to show for it a best 60 ft of 1.499.
I have been reading alot around the forum trying to learn more about suspension tuning and setup but I haven't made any real headway with the car. I was also thinking about calling TRZ about some double adjustable afco/strangle shocks for the rear but wanted to see what the forum suggested.
Thanks for the help

here is a slow mo video from this past weekend

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would go with Afco double adjustables. Mine needed the front end slowed down and compression tight on the rears to prevent basket balling the rear tires.

Do you run tubes in the rear tires? With a heavy car like ours I found tubes were needed to stiffen the side walls on the 29.5x 10's Hoosiers. My 60 foot times are usually 1.38 to 1.40

·
Registered
773 Posts
need to slo the rear and ft shocks down quite a bit,i watched video..lol if u watch close youll see the rear appear to hit bottom and shoot back up then spin.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
go back to stock style coil springs in the front. im not a fan of the coil overs. not enough travel and stored energy.
This. I don't see the need for a coil over shock in a stock suspension car. My car had stock coils and a single adjustable strange shock in the front when I sold it. And I also agree a heavy car needs a stiff sidewall tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I went with the TRZ radial valved afco's and a new set of 275 pro's. Car went right down first pass using their suggested rear settings along with tightening the front shocks up some. 1.38 60 ft is a new best for me.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Your car is not plotted right. Plus you dropped the rear 2" down. Are your lower bars adjustable? If they are they need to be moved up 1 hole. OR Your top bars moved down the the next hole. Do not loosen the front shocks keep them tight. the body needs to separate from the rear and force the tire to go forward none of this squatting shit. If you have coil overs jump 6 clicks 1 click will not do shit. Send me a picture of your rear I will help you. I have a program as well can email you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1/8 mile was 6.43 @105. The rear is still stock mounting points so I have no adjustment on the top or bottom bars. It may be worth while to add some brackets in the future.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I went with the TRZ radial valved afco's and a new set of 275 pro's. Car went right down first pass using their suggested rear settings along with tightening the front shocks up some. 1.38 60 ft is a new best for me.
Nothin wrong with stock mount points,ive got umi adj uppers,lowers,and I highly suggest their upper braces!!!FordRules:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
They will eventually break. (stock mounting points) Tire shake, more power you find the weak link quick. When my car went from 9's to 8's to 7's those stocks mounts said well we don't like this lol. I am a critical on part integrity, well and my life going 170 plus on a 10.5 tire.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They will eventually break. (stock mounting points) Tire shake, more power you find the weak link quick. When my car went from 9's to 8's to 7's those stocks mounts said well we don't like this lol. I am a critical on part integrity, well and my life going 170 plus on a 10.5 tire.
5.30's is it for me be beatn this girl since 87...….

1 - 20 of 32 Posts