Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to rebuild a 700r4 compared to a th350? (I've done a lot of them).I need to rebuild the one in my truck. It is just my street truck, completly stock. I want to put a shift kit to firm the shifts. I've been told to drill the pump to keep the front seals in them. A guy told me to replace the pump if it's alluminum, do I need to? Any secrets or tricks to help it live a long life for me? Cut pistons in drums for extra clutches like a th350? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Barry

·
I kill parts
10,377 Posts
All 700r4/4L60 pumps are aluminum, just put new vanes & rings in it. If you're happens to be an early 7-vane pump(pre '87), then trash the rotor and swap to the later 10-vane rotor.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How hard is it to rebuild a 700r4 compared to a th350? (I've done a lot of them).I need to rebuild the one in my truck. It is just my street truck, completly stock. I want to put a shift kit to firm the shifts. I've been told to drill the pump to keep the front seals in them. A guy told me to replace the pump if it's alluminum, do I need to? Any secrets or tricks to help it live a long life for me? Cut pistons in drums for extra clutches like a th350? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Barry
Try to find a complete late input housing out of a 98 and up 4L60E that has the 298MM converter. The reason why; molded pistons, 1PC apply plate, #7 3-4 apply ring (7 clutch capacity at full thickness frictions/steels.

You'll need a. .500 TV boost valve, .296 reverse boost valve, beast sunshell, sonnax wide reaction gear sun bushing. A decent shift kit is a trans co 700jr, or a kit from superior.

Use the high energy 2-4 band and 3-4 clutches from a late model 4L60E.

That's just off the top of my head. There is more. Once you get the input housing out, the trans is like a TH350 your use to.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We like the Superior 700-R4 HP Shift Kits, easy to install, come with a corvette 2nd servo and they shif quite well. Burt

·
I kill parts
10,377 Posts
Try to find a complete late input housing out of a 98 and up 4L60E that has the 298MM converter. The reason why; molded pistons, 1PC apply plate, #7 3-4 apply ring (7 clutch capacity at full thickness frictions/steels.

You'll need a. .500 TV boost valve, .296 reverse boost valve, beast sunshell, sonnax wide reaction gear sun bushing. A decent shift kit is a trans co 700jr, or a kit from superior.

Use the high energy 2-4 band and 3-4 clutches from a late model 4L60E.

That's just off the top of my head. There is more. Once you get the input housing out, the trans is like a TH350 your use to.

Pretty much my standard recipe of parts, lol. I haven't had any issues with the regular/older 30 spline input though, just use the press on spline/drum re-inforcement ring(which is a good idea for the newer drum as well).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts