alum. tubing for exhaust

racing buckets / alum. seats

aftermarket brakes / steering arms

lexan window`s

?????????

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Cut the frame off in front of upper a arms and plate the front, run a tube out to support, a fiberglass bumper and a tube radiator support, glass fenders and hood, spindle mount wheels and brakes. smaller radiator, move trans cooler to the back, dont use steel braded lines use the push lock, fiber glass inner fenders

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
TRZ is all I would use on the front A-Arms, Steering arms and rack kit.

I used Wilwood dyna lights, for brakes, saved over 125 lbs off the front between all of it. ( Malibu's have a very heavy spindle) I switched to a F-Body set-up

·
Registered
425 Posts
I saved 50# by going from stock front disc's to Wilwood's. Remenber, unsprung weight removal is most desireable. Core supports are heavy and can either be lightened, or you could fab a new lighter one. You can take 15# out of the firewall. I took 10# out of my stock steering column.

This is all on a '69 Lemans, but it's still an A-body. My car is 2990 without me in it. 12 point cage certed to 8.50. I'm hoping to reach 2850# after this winter.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Tubular A-arms - 30 - 35 lbs.
Strange or Wilwood Brakes - 45 -50 lbs.
Manual Rack kit w/ alum steering arms - 33 - 38 lbs.
are a few of the things I know for sure.
+ all the cutting / plating / fiberglass etc.

All that weight savings plus you get stuff that works better and is safer on a dragstrip.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
It's just like a Scotchman and money. If you watch the pennys the dollars take care of them selfs. If you watch the ounces the pounds will come off.

·
Lord of Lords
4,166 Posts
Don't forget to cut out the side imact beams from the doors, they're a PITA to get out, but they're worth 11lbs each side if you plan on keeping the stock doors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts