Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a 70 Chevelle. It hooks pretty well but rides like a lumber wagon. It presently has traction bars and air bags in the springs. What traction devices work best on these cars yet still have a nice ride on the street?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
All the stock stuff works when in good condition.IE Bushings.
Air Bags used to be the hot ticket,But I wouldn't use them anymore.
And by "Traction Bars" you mean the Slapper type(?),I wouldn't use those either.
Shocks and Springs can be kept simple(stock) as well,Unless you start to race the car more than street driving.

Have a friend that goes 10.40's in a BBC 72 Chevelle with all stock rear suspension except for the HR Parts Anti-Roll(simple bolt-on)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should take a picture of the "traction bars". They may be considerd old school ladder bars. I still want it to hook good at the track and street but want a good ride.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You can definately make it hook w/ the stock stuff.
Another example,A Buick friend ran a Buick GS in IHRA Top Stock,Car dipped into the high 1.20 60's with nother more than adjustable uppers,Adjustable shocks,And a weld-on anti-roll bar.
You don't need much over the factory 4-link.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a list of what to buy? What shocks, springs, anti roll bar, bushings, adjustable uppers, pinion angle, etc., etc.?
Thanks

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
Chris-
Give Lipke a call.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PM me his number

·
Lord of Lords
4,165 Posts
when my car was stock I used to go low 1.40's all day long on stock (and I mean stock) never changed bushings, unboxed control arms, and an airbag in the RR spring. When I took the bars out finally the steel sleeve in the bushings were damn near touching the metal of the arm. This was a full body, full interior, all steel 3500lb 70 with a 406 on a 225 shot spraying out the hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts