Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We have used the ATI steel 7" balancer on 632" engines 4.750" stroke and at times over 8,000 rpm with out any issues. This is the balancer that ATI recomended that we use. ATI makes balancers for BBC in 6", 7" and 8 inch. I'd would think that any of there 7 or 8 inch units would work for you.

·
Go Phuck youself
12,353 Posts
8 inch has been standard knowledge since 1970,s built by GM engineers for high hp oem bbc,s and sbc ,s as well. Take it from the best of the best and then add ATI to the subject one step beyond. Proven fact 8" dampens harmonics on 396/375hp and up and dont look back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
someone should explain this more..? about the different sizes. whats the differences..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The best thing you can do is call JC Beatie at ATI and get his recommendation for a damper.

Otherwise, search this forum for my posts that pertain to dampers and realize that greater mass will result in better damping but the racer tendency is to use the smallest one available.......

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
this is a gray area. I have a 6"ATi for my old Pro Stock motor. Buddy runs the same 6" ATi on his 490 inch motor.

BUT

Look at sprint cars, they run NO balancer and driect drive. They run foe many laps at 8000 rpm+. SOOO what is right????

If this is just street/strip style car with mostly street time and some weekend runs at the track, I would just go 8" and be done with it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called ATI today. They recommend the 917060 7" balancer. Didnt make any mention of a special one for the 600+ engines.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
i would think you would determine by your rotating mass? lightweight crank/ heavy crank more harmonics? bigger dampner? just trying to make sense of the two sizes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts