Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try Hirtenberger? It's 147 grain Berdan primed and non corrosive military surplus ammo. A guy local to me is selling 240 battle packs for $120. I figure might be fun for shooting steel targets.

·
Banned
119,183 Posts
You wont find it much cheaper than that .Try it at 100 yards and 200 300 and see how it does .

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walmart hasn’t had any .308 anything in 2 months. I think Walmart will be getting out of the ammo biz in Calif soon. When you can find ammo here, it’s a buck a round or more now. Mail order is the only way to get anything at reasonable prices but that is .60 to .75 per & usually steel case, but many won’t mail to California anymore. B&M stores like Ammo Brothers, Bass Pro, Turners are average 23-30 bucks a box. I like to shoot often & need an alternative.
I did a search on it & gets great reviews. Only negative seems to be how thick the cases are for reloading. At least it is reloadable.
Funny thing- during that search, I landed in a forum of members complaining about ammo prices years ago. The complaints were having to spend a whopping $140 bucks for 1000 rounds. If we only knew.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
reload---reload----and then reload

It's your only hope. Surplus powders are normally $70-80 per 8# keg. Brass is cheap enough--and then get your bullets of choice.

It's only going to get worse in time---buy all you can now and reload till your heart's content.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts

It's your only hope. Surplus powders are normally $70-80 per 8# keg. Brass is cheap enough--and then get your bullets of choice.

It's only going to get worse in time---buy all you can now and reload till your heart's content.
Good advice!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

That’s the plan but I promised myself I would finish the car first. I have the perfect bench in garage for all of that later. I’ve been saving all my brass for last year. Right now, I have 2 1/2 Home Depot buckets of brass. I don’t shoot steel case. I figure if I have to buy factory ammo, spend a few cents more for brass that can be reloaded.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought all he had.
2- 240 battle packs
2- 200 battle packs.

Gave me a good deal- 880 rounds for $400 cash. No tax, no shipping, works for me. :)
45 cents a round is not bad for brass case ammo. We’ll see how it shoots soon.

·
Banned
119,183 Posts
Zqi at Wal-Mart is 7.47 for 20rds. Shoots good for the price and shooting steel etc
They never have it around here anymore but I got 26 boxes in Pa in oct .

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I bought all he had.
2- 240 battle packs
2- 200 battle packs.

Gave me a good deal- 880 rounds for $400 cash. No tax, no shipping, works for me. :)
45 cents a round is not bad for brass case ammo. We’ll see how it shoots soon.
You got a great deal on it. Hirtenberg is some of the premier surplus 7.62.
Will

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think so. Also got 400 rounds of 7.62x51 in 200 rd battle packs Radway Green, non corrosive, Berdan primed brass case.
Got that for $125.00. He didn’t know what it was & wanted to get rid of it. Neither did I until I got home & looked it up.
It’s all very nice & very clean. I waited to post on this until I knew what it was. Great reviews.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That’s the plan but I promised myself I would finish the car first. I have the perfect bench in garage for all of that later. I’ve been saving all my brass for last year. Right now, I have 2 1/2 Home Depot buckets of brass. I don’t shoot steel case. I figure if I have to buy factory ammo, spend a few cents more for brass that can be reloaded.

If you do plan on reloading in the future, I recommend shooting the same stuff so the brass is the same make. Different cases have different h2o capacities and your loads won't be consistent.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Zqi at Wal-Mart is 7.47 for 20rds. Shoots good for the price and shooting steel etc
Just shot some through an ar-10 with a 1/10 twist and it shot 7" groups at 100 yards, I was shocked!!! Then I stuffed some handloads I made for my 5r and it grouped 1.25" with 7 rounds. And no bags or bipod. It's a m&p10 with a lightweight barrel. Totally stock. Trigger was terrible to say the least, but that's easily fixed, the stock was a pile too. I bet he could get .3/4" groups when all said and done. But that zqi was all over the place. Good bumpfire ammo. Lmao.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you do plan on reloading in the future, I recommend shooting the same stuff so the brass is the same make. Different cases have different h2o capacities and your loads won't be consistent.
See? I have a lot to learn on brass. Only thing I do now is separate .308 from 7.62 NATO because of the thicker case.

·
Banned
17,411 Posts
My ar-10 with a 3.5 # POF trigger had a hard time firing some rounds with Berdan primers.
I think so. Also got 400 rounds of 7.62x51 in 200 rd battle packs Radway Green, non corrosive, Berdan primed brass case.
Got that for $125.00. He didn’t know what it was & wanted to get rid of it. Neither did I until I got home & looked it up.
It’s all very nice & very clean. I waited to post on this until I knew what it was. Great reviews.

·
Banned
119,183 Posts
Just shot some through an ar-10 with a 1/10 twist and it shot 7" groups at 100 yards, I was shocked!!! Then I stuffed some handloads I made for my 5r and it grouped 1.25" with 7 rounds. And no bags or bipod. It's a m&p10 with a lightweight barrel. Totally stock. Trigger was terrible to say the least, but that's easily fixed, the stock was a pile too. I bet he could get .3/4" groups when all said and done. But that zqi was all over the place. Good bumpfire ammo. Lmao.
My buddy uses it to sight in his Remington 700 and goes out to 400 yards with an 8 inch target with it .Hand loads after that .

·
Real Estate Tycoon
16,961 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.