Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I'm leaving a stop sign or pulling out of the driveway I get a real rough vibration untill I get a little speed going, then while going down the road I've been noticing a pretty significant vibration I really don't know where to start? Tires, shocks, wheel bearings, sticky caliper? Could it be the torque converter? I'm new to diesels and this is getting very frustrating... Has anyone else experienced this. 2001 f250 crew cab short box 128k

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The wheel bearing noise didn't start untill I hooked the trailer up to it and I noticed the e brake seemed like it stuck on

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My 01 had the flywheel installed improperly, {the crank uses a pin to locate the externally balanced flywheel and some technician missed the pin and forced the flywheel on pushing the pin into the crank} only noticed the vibration when accelerating or pulling the trailer... Also had a rear bearing and seal leak problem around 100k

·
Registered
361 Posts
Usually wheel bearing noise is gradual it doesnt just start making noise from one day to the next...

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Driveshaft center bearing.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ i checked that hanger bearing out and it felt good and tight, i drove the truck for about a month before all this started.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Center bearing x2. But if ots been going on for a while yoir ujoints are also probaly beat

I change them all the time. I cutm off with a cutoff wheel and made a pipe to side over the splines and hit the new bearing on with a good hammer. A press would work easy too

Your not looking for so much as the rubber being beat as much as there being any play in the bearong. It could be easy to confuse the two

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i grabbed it and tried to get some play out of it and didnt really look at the rubber and it seemed tight

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Convertor shutter. Change tranny fluid. Also has your fuel mileage gone down? If fluid change doesn't help might need a new convertor.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
mine did the same and it was the converter

·
Registered
906 Posts
You need to lube the drive shaft splines. If you go to the Diesel Stop forum there are countless posts about the "shutter from take off" It happened to mine and was fixed as soon as the splines were lubricated properly. The post will also give you the proper ford blue grease that will last forever. Mine started to come back after 2 years, I applied a little more lube and it took care of the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts