Yellow Bullet Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Problem is ford doesn't know how to market it. They say It's a truck motor for low rpm power, if you want more power in your mustang buzz the 302 up to 9500 rpm and add a super charger. I'd rather have the low rpm power for the street myself. Seem to be really pushing the little ecoboost stuff. Finally get 444 cubes as a starting point, which amazed me for these times, now market the thing. Or just keep quiet and only a few will be running them. Either way nice to see a pushrod motor with some size again.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Hope it can pull a 14,000 lbs. enclosed trailer up and down my hills. I'll let you all know. Ordered it with a 4.30 gear, so it should.
I ordered one also. I’ve got a 2012 diesel now with 400,000km. I tested a new one and actually towed my 28’ haulmark trailer with it with one snowmobile inside. Going by feel from a dead stop it pulled as hard or harder than my 12. Since the price of diesel gas climbed so much I decided on gas. Should be here 2nd week of aug.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I ordered one also. I’ve got a 2012 diesel now with 400,000km. I tested a new one and actually towed my 28’ haulmark trailer with it with one snowmobile inside. Going by feel from a dead stop it pulled as hard or harder than my 12. Since the price of diesel gas climbed so much I decided on gas. Should be here 2nd week of aug.
They let you use it to tow your trailer and then gave it back to the dealer so you could order one of your own? Must have a family member that owns a Ford dealer. Either that , or your Canadian Ford dealers are the most friendly people in the world.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Between myself and family we have bought likely 10 vehicles over the yeas from these guys. They had two new 7.3 they brought in and because this was a new engine they set one up as a demo unit. I told them i was interested in buying one but I wouldn’t buy until i knew exactly what it can tow. I’ve owned nothing but diesel since 92. They said no problem go get your trailer as they wanted first hand knowledge of towing capabilities they could also tell other customers. A win win for both. After trying we could easily see the truck pulls as good as my diesel or maybe even better. Remember my 12 is 385hp and no 10spd transmission. The milage ofcourse is quite abit higher while towing but as good while not. My daughters new 19 diesel actually gets worse milage while not towing than 7.3. I’m getting excited to get truck now and with mods coming up it will be interesting to see.I posted this info on 7.3 thread and most thought i was on crack. I tell you one thing I’ve drove diesels for a long time starting with non turbo 7.3. This new gas hauls ass thats the bottom line.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That's all good to me. And makes me feel better about replacing my old junk. My first tow "rig" was a 1983 F250 w/a 6.9 IDI and a 4 speed. Then in '92 I bought what I have now a 1985 F350 XL CC DRW w/a 6.9 then later a 7.3 w/a Gale Banks turbo.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
That's all good to me. And makes me feel better about replacing my old junk. My first tow "rig" was a 1983 F250 w/a 6.9 IDI and a 4 speed. Then in '92 I bought what I have now a 1985 F350 XL CC DRW w/a 6.9 then later a 7.3 w/a Gale Banks turbo.
I have to say my favourite truck was that 92. Then a 99 supercab i had chipped with a superchip. That 7.3 was a strong runner in 99. This 12 has been very good also.The new 7.3 you bought will be a lot more powerful that the turbo 85. Those early motors were good but compared to now pretty shy on mules.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have to say my favourite truck was that 92. Then a 99 supercab i had chipped with a superchip. That 7.3 was a strong runner in 99. This 12 has been very good also.The new 7.3 you bought will be a lot more powerful that the turbo 85. Those early motors were good but compared to now pretty shy on mules.
Yeah those old trucks were built when the speed limit was 55 mph. Plus it's just old, and it gets hot on the inside with the turbo mounted so close to the firewall. My girlfriend hates riding in it. And it just sits the majority of the time.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not sure why some negativity for the 7.3 godzilla platform?
Who actually cares if some LS build(s) makes more power?
Nice to have another Ford option to have fun with.
I'm with you on that...Yet there's one problem, the Real world and us being on the World's Best race forum in the NA section.

Reactions: k.pascoe

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I think it's really cool that there is another option for the Ford faithful. Is there a better five liter engine out there than the Coyote? For those wanting more displacement the 7.3 certainly fits the bill and could replace thousands of aging 351M, 360, 390, 400, and 460 engines in all the 70's Ford trucks I still see out I the road.

That much power would make my 2000 F150 a lot of fun for that matter!

141 - 160 of 178 Posts