Yellow Bullet Forums banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Canted and splayed are two different things. The 7.3 heads are in-line but canted. Not splayed. If they were splayed, they wouldn't be in-line. Clevlands, BB Chevs, 385 Fords, canted and splayed. Rotated is a different thing all together.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
So simple if you think about it....∆✓

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm waiting to see you go thru the port...will it be good as is or shrinkage to speed things up? How big of a valve is wanted and where it ranks for a SB Factory head.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Canted and splayed are two different things. The 7.3 heads are in-line but canted. Not splayed. If they were splayed, they wouldn't be in-line. Clevlands, BB Chevs, 385 Fords, canted and splayed. Rotated is a different thing all together.
So Cleveland canted or semi-hemi heads aren't rotated, but splayed? I have never heard them referred to as splayed before.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
So Cleveland canted or semi-hemi heads aren't rotated, but splayed? I have never heard them referred to as splayed before.
To me or as far as my understanding goes, splayed is when the valves are angled in a direction 90* to the block center line. Like I said earlier, a good example is splayed main caps. Canted is when they are angled parallel with the center of the block, fore and aft. In-line valves are exactly that. The centerline of the valves are in-line, parallel with the centerline of the block. Rotated, to me, means they are moved off their centerline and not in-line. I'd have to look at a drawing but it's possible that the Cleveland is rotated as well as canted and splayed. If you're referring to the Boss 429 as the "semi hemi" I would say it's a cross between a radically rotated and splayed conventional 429 head and a Chrysler Hemi.

·
Registered
549 Posts
To me or as far as my understanding goes, splayed is when the valves are angled in a direction 90* to the block center line. Like I said earlier, a good example is splayed main caps. Canted is when they are angled parallel with the center of the block, fore and aft. In-line valves are exactly that. The centerline of the valves are in-line, parallel with the centerline of the block. Rotated, to me, means they are moved off their centerline and not in-line. I'd have to look at a drawing but it's possible that the Cleveland is rotated as well as canted and splayed. If you're referring to the Boss 429 as the "semi hemi" I would say it's a cross between a radically rotated and splayed conventional 429 head and a Chrysler Hemi.
Here's the angles. As far as semi hemi I've got a book that refers to the Cleveland that way.
20200215_183017.jpg

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The confusion is partly because canted valve heads are also always, as far as I know, splayed as well.

Canted, by definition means they aren't in the same plane. Splayed are in the same plane but angled within that plane. Place your hand on a table... then spread your fingers apart - your fingers are the splayed. Lift one finger and that finger is now canted - in a different plane.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
As far as a "Hemi" - two things make a Hemi a Hemi.

1 - a hemispherical combustion chamber and
2 - a valve arrangement with the intake valve on the top and the exhaust valve on the bottom rather than side by side.

I've heard people lament that the new Hemi is not a true Hemi because of the combustion chamber shape. Very gasoline friendly, maybe not so much for nitromethane!

While I have seen them I don't recall if the intake valves on the R97 and FR9 heads are both canted and splayed. I've never seen a modern Pro-Stock head, but "think" both valves are canted and splayed.

·
35,249 Posts
I don't know anyone who has ever considered Valve Cant, to be anything other than a secondary valve angle. Same for Splayed. I've never communicated with a cylinder head shop that said anything differently.

Layout, is always discussed as rotation or inline.

That's all there is for options...

121 - 129 of 129 Posts