Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
Have a set on the way...should be interesting.

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
Are you perhaps getting splayed confused with valve cant and valve rotation. Cup cylinder heads have rotated valve angles like the old Cleveland. This 7.3 head and an inline valve head like a SBC and Windsor.
This 7.3 is not an in line valve head.
What's the difference between splayed and canted?

·
Banksters Paradise
5,044 Posts
Does anyone know if factory LS7 heads have any angle on the intake valve other than perfect straight up? Another way of saying it Is their intake valve a perfect 90 degrees to the deck surface from front to back of engine? Because i have a set of ls7 heads here that the valves all look inline but the intake valves are angled slightly (5 degrees) away from the bore edge. I've been curious to know if all ls7 heads are that way but can't seem to confirm it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Scott on getting a pair of 7.3 heads...🤔
as a old friend would say when things are working out good...
Now you Fucking!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Launch any Ls7 head I've researched or look at has been a inline 12 degree valve angle or less...Chris Frank and Mast have a 10 to 11 valve angle No side cant. Only 1 LS head that uses a factory style port ...aka Ls3 or Ls7 with Canted valves.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I thought about it after I posted and realized splayed is angled in the front to back direction - looking at the front of the engine. Canted would be different valve angles in the side to side direction....duh!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I guess I'd have to see a drawing to be sure. LOL! I was told cup heads - Chevrolet and Ford have canted intake valves and rotated exhaust valves. I'm thinking canted and splayed are the same thing.
If I recall correctly 'Splayed " was some sort of Chevrolet term they applied to their BB Mk IV cylinder head layout. Yoursource for your cup head description is close. Both valves are rotated off lateral centerline and then canted.

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
I thought about it after I posted and realized splayed is angled in the front to back direction - looking at the front of the engine. Canted would be different valve angles in the side to side direction....duh!
Splayed...just like splayed main bolts. (y)

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,625 Posts
Why is it that no one here can talk about cars and engines without prejudice? It's always gotta be ford vs chevy vs Mopar, no matter what.

Why can't people just talk performance and leave the bullshit out of it? It's like dealing with children when it comes to this crap. Jeez.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Canted valve is a compound valve angle. X and Y. The valve layout has nothing to do with the term canted. That's a rotated layout, non inline.

The 7.3 heads are inline, but canted/splayed.
It seems like you are yelling at me, I don't know whether to be offended or not, Lol. Cleveland heads are canted aren't they?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Are there any/many running examples of this engine that have been hot rodded. Is this just about a new engine that no one really has any performance experience with and has no junk yard supply or new manufacture supply parts yet?

·
Registered
505 Posts
That is an A-3 Cleveland and it is rotated and canted.
Yep, that's my A3 cleveland head, lol. I was trying to help with a picture of a canted valve, but like Chris pointed out it is a bad example with it being rotated also, may give people the wrong idea.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts