Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here shot the 6XC or familar with it?

I am looking for something with more energy than my PPC and I don't feel BR has enough increase to justify changing to it.

With 1000yd potential that can rival my 6.5x284, 7 gr less powder than a .243, and the countless supply of 6mm bullets, this may be the round I am looking for. I just have some questions for someone familar with the XC.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Has anyone here shot the 6XC or familar with it?

I am looking for something with more energy than my PPC and I don't feel BR has enough increase to justify changing to it.

With 1000yd potential that can rival my 6.5x284, 7 gr less powder than a .243, and the countless supply of 6mm bullets, this may be the round I am looking for. I just have some questions for someone familar with the XC.
I shoot the 6mm/250AI version in a Savage single shot Mod. 12. It's a high two's gun on a windless day, and will reach out a lot further than I care to shoot. I think the round needs a slight revamp in it by making the case length about 2.00" long with the same 40 degree shoulders, but that's another story. Nice thing about it is that you can run an expander die thru basic 22-250 brass, and fire form the cases. Mine has the 1:8 twist barrel at 26" in length, and shoots the heavy bullets very nicely (44 grains of H1000 and a Hornaday 105 grain AMAX).
gary

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shoot the 6mm/250AI version in a Savage single shot Mod. 12. It's a high two's gun on a windless day, and will reach out a lot further than I care to shoot. I think the round needs a slight revamp in it by making the case length about 2.00" long with the same 40 degree shoulders, but that's another story. Nice thing about it is that you can run an expander die thru basic 22-250 brass, and fire form the cases. Mine has the 1:8 twist barrel at 26" in length, and shoots the heavy bullets very nicely (44 grains of H1000 and a Hornaday 105 grain AMAX).
gary

Thanks for commenting. I was hoping to get your opinion.

I have never shot an AI case, and was actually considering the 6mm/250AI when I came across the XC. Norma is making XC brass now, and its much thicker around the head than 22/250 brass is. I would think case life would be excellent, and barrel life would be almost forever.

One of the things that really has me interested in the XC is the low amount of powder. 35-37gr seems to be the norm. Though I really don't shoot enough to say there is a big savings there, I would like to find a round that I can/will shoot more often than any of my current ones.

I am looking for a paper puncher, and possibly even a sporter profile barrel around 22" for varminting. How do you think the 6/250 or XC would perform with a shorter barrel? That's another reason I was leaning to the XC....Less powder should be able to complete burn in a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Thanks for commenting. I was hoping to get your opinion.

I have never shot an AI case, and was actually considering the 6mm/250AI when I came across the XC. Norma is making XC brass now, and its much thicker around the head than 22/250 brass is. I would think case life would be excellent, and barrel life would be almost forever.

One of the things that really has me interested in the XC is the low amount of powder. 35-37gr seems to be the norm. Though I really don't shoot enough to say there is a big savings there, I would like to find a round that I can/will shoot more often than any of my current ones.

I am looking for a paper puncher, and possibly even a sporter profile barrel around 22" for varminting. How do you think the 6/250 or XC would perform with a shorter barrel? That's another reason I was leaning to the XC....Less powder should be able to complete burn in a shorter barrel.
now here's food for thought. A 6XC case is nothing but a standard plain jane 22-250 case necked up to 6mm. You can take a 6XC case and fireform it to a 6mm/250AI by doing nothing but loading the round.

I think a 24" barrel in a #7 or heavier contour might work just fine. I'm using a 26" barrel that could really work just as well in 24", and maybe even 23". If you going to use bullets like the 80 grain Blitz, then I think a 22 or 23" barrel will be just fine (go with a #7 contour). I'd be interested in the velocities you'd be getting with 70 and 80 grain bullets. You might want a little faster powder burn rate, but I think it will work
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
if you order in a barrel, have them cut a .264 neck. Wilson sells a .250AI neck sizing die that takes bushings. Redding sells a 22-250AI sizer that takes bushings. They also sell a 250AI bump die for setting the shoulder back a few thousandths. The real hassle is the bullet seater. I'd simply suggest reworking a 22-250AI seater, or order one cut by Forster in their custom shop. I use a reworked Wilson and a Redding, but want to get a Forster as it's a better seater. My Redding seater is a slightly reworked .243AI seater, and it works OK. I can set on the sofa and watch the Cubs get their butts kicked on TV, while building rounds when I use the Wilson dies and my little bitty K&M arbor press. I set it all up on a small Black & Decker Workmate (now they have an even smaller one!)
gary

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you going to be selling your PPC brass?

Nah, the gun shoots too good to let it go. I am just wanting something with a little more range and compareable accuracy.

I do have 50 pieces of brand new Sako 220 Russian brass that I have thought about getting rid of. I bought it years ago before already formed PPC was available. Let me know if you are interested in it.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Richard,

What about the 6brx?
OK Doug, that ones new to me. Please tell me what it is? I might add here that there is another sorta odd ball 6mm that's based off of the 35 Remington case. A real pain to make the cases, but guess they shoot really well. I think it's a complete waste of energy myself as the case to very close to a regular 6XC but slightly smaller in diameter. Perhaps a 22 centerfire built off it, but not a 6mm. Used to know several guys that shot a 6/.284 short (that's what they called it), and they all raved about it. It's basicly a 6/.284 shortend .100 or .150 at the shoulder with a neck and shoulder similar to a 6mmAI. They also do it in .257 and 6.5 too. Case quality in the .284 was an issue with them, but barrel life was nearly doubled!
gary

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
OK Doug, that ones new to me. Please tell me what it is? I might add here that there is another sorta odd ball 6mm that's based off of the 35 Remington case. A real pain to make the cases, but guess they shoot really well. I think it's a complete waste of energy myself as the case to very close to a regular 6XC but slightly smaller in diameter. Perhaps a 22 centerfire built off it, but not a 6mm. Used to know several guys that shot a 6/.284 short (that's what they called it), and they all raved about it. It's basicly a 6/.284 shortend .100 or .150 at the shoulder with a neck and shoulder similar to a 6mmAI. They also do it in .257 and 6.5 too. Case quality in the .284 was an issue with them, but barrel life was nearly doubled!
gary

Gary,
When you get time. Check out http://www.6mmbr.com.
Lots of good info on all the 6mms

They also talk about the new .338 bullet that I think was used by a brit sniper on his 1.54 mile shot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts