Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got one on my junk, couple issues I've experienced...the launch retard is not near as smooth as advertised, its more like a delay switch. Only has a single step retard so if your going to multiple stages your gunna have to add another timing box.
The burnout limits, 2 step, top end limits all work fine and are simple to wire.
My opinion for a car that 80% street and 20% track its pretty cool, myself...I wish I would have just saved a little more money and bought a 7 series box.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got one on my junk, couple issues I've experienced...the launch retard is not near as smooth as advertised, its more like a delay switch. Only has a single step retard so if your going to multiple stages your gunna have to add another timing box.
The burnout limits, 2 step, top end limits all work fine and are simple to wire.
My opinion for a car that 80% street and 20% track its pretty cool, myself...I wish I would have just saved a little more money and bought a 7 series box.

Very good feedback!

So, the ramp for the lauch retard is more like a "jump", not a ramp? Also, how about the timing curve that you can build...have you played with that? The most important functions that I'm interested in are the launch and step retards...and mainly the ramp feature that is built in.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have one in my car. I use the step retard for the n2o, and the timing curve as a start retard below 800 rpm. Don't use any of the launch ramp stuff or anything like that. It works ok. I've got a small Blaster SS coil that I think is holding me back some, right now the motor seems to get weak above 6300 rpms, so I shift at 6200. The 1-3/4" headers might be an issue as well.

I've been 5.98 @118 with an 82N / 73F jet in a cheater plate on a 13:1 377 sbc with it. 3100lbs, stock suspension, true 10.5's.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm also interested in this setup. Any more feedback on the timing curve as "10.5" asked? What about the use of upgraded coils like the Blaster II HVC coil? Any particular coil work better for a street / strip deal? Using a computer or msd programmer to set up the box?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any others using this box? Hoping for a little more feedback before buying or just sticking with my 6AL.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone else have any good knowledge on this box? Just trying to get more feedback before deciding to purchase. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your best bet is to get A 6520 D6 plus they are proven for street strip, you can't go wrong.
It doesn't have the functionality that I'm looking for...I would like a launch retard and timing curve.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I looked into them and the timing curve is rpm based, not a good thing if you want to kill power on launch . Theproblem is if it does spin the rpm will spike and it will throw more timing at it, atleast that the way I see it. The 7531 or a 8979 will alooow you to use a time based curve. If you already have a box get the 8979

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked into them and the timing curve is rpm based, not a good thing if you want to kill power on launch . Theproblem is if it does spin the rpm will spike and it will throw more timing at it, atleast that the way I see it. The 7531 or a 8979 will alooow you to use a time based curve. If you already have a box get the 8979
I thought that I read that it had a time-based launch retard ramp?

·
Registered
737 Posts
buy a 7531 or just keep using your 6al Ive been 5.60s with 6al and three step retard ss mustang on 28s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts