Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought a rear set of Billet Specialties Street Lites for the back. They hit the caliper pretty bad, and if I spaced them out to clear the caliper they hit the quarter panel. I listed them on Facebook and sold them extremely quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah Mike, that is what I really wanted to run. It looked like it would give me the best clearance for everything. The over the axel will make tail pipes and impossibly, but I do think it would be better than the bolt on unit. It's hard for me to go against TRZs recommendations though. They seem to really have their stuff together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got my modified spindle back from the machine shop. He drilled them, then reemed it to 5/8 so the bolts are really snug

I was going to put the front end together, but apparently I didn't order the lower ball joint I needed, so I'll have to order it. I did mach the front end up to see how the bump street kit looked and to see what I'll have to do to get the Vikings to fit the front control arm. It looks like I'll definitely have to make the shock hole in the lower control arm bigger to get it through.

Since the Billet Specialties didn't fit, I bought a set of polished weld S77s. They are 17s, I plan on using them for street driving and bracket racing and having my old 15 inch pro stars with a ET drags on the back and a decent radial skinny on the front for Nitrous stuff or traction limited environments

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've gotten a little bit more done. My lower ball joints and a new transmission cross member to clear the gear vendors is on order.

I got my upper ball joints changed to the proforged .5 inch taller parts, my uppers were Moog's that I replaced at some point. I planned on running them but since I accidentally ordered uppers instead of lowers I installed them instead or returning them.

I also got the lower control arms clearanced for the new shocks. I had to make the oval shape more of an "8" shape. With the lower control arm being pretty free it was relatively easy.

Taking/looking at all the pictures of my chassis made me realize how dirty a lot of it is, once it becomes a roller again I'm going to take it outside and power wash everything.

Since I was waiting on parts for the front suspension, I shifted gears and worked on finishing my packing tray for the back window and macking up the center console. The packing tray is 1/8 inch plywood that I cut on a jig saw to fit and clear the roll cage. The center console is still in the concept faze.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Made some more progress on the front end. I got the tall lower ball joints installed and the rest of the suspense together. The springs were a PITA to install, they are pretty tall and without the engine in the car it would want to lift the front up instead of compressing the spring. I took some time and cleaned up the A Arms too. My car has always been a driver, so I never worried about the chassis being spotless, but the picture made me realize how bad it looked.

I also took some time and bleed the brakes tonight, my buddy is going to come over in the next few days and we are going to stick the mach up block back in it, make some motor mounts, and get the new cross member installed. After that I'll be able to take it off Jack stands for awhile and start doing a bunch of little projects I've been wanting to do to the car. Also, I'm itching to roll this thing outside and clean the garage floor. I'm tired of working on dirt/brake fluid/car gunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I could use some thoughts and opinions a front air dam for my car. I'd like to add one because I think it would add some aero to my car, plus when done correctly they look cool.

Here is a 70 GSX

Here is the 70 GSX spoiler on a 69

Here is a really rough mach up I did out of card board. Please share your thoughts. What's better, the GSX? Mine? None? An option I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm still open to input, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an air dam like on this Chevelle.

Glastek makes one for a 69 Chevelle, I'm going to order one and hope fits my Skylark well. There's is a 4 inch wrap around. I'm not going for the pro touring look, but do want my car to be as functional as possible. I'd love some feedback from the bullet

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't think many people look at these, but I'm going to keep spamming mine with updates. It will be cool to look back when I'm done and see all the progress.

The sending unit in my fuel tank was bad, so today I drained the tank and removed it. The old set up was on E85, the new engine will be on gasoline at the beginning of it's life so getting all the old fuel out was needed. While the tank was out I decided to address my trunk. It looked horrible.

With the tank out I could easily remove the battery box and bottle brackets.

My car wasn't jammed really well so I took this time to clean the truck, jam it in better, splatter paint it, and re do some stuff.

I ordered a factory trunk mat today, hopefully it helps protect the paint some and help make it all look better. I'm thinking about moving the battery box. I have a dual bottle bracket I'd like to run but don't want to give up all my trunk space.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm still open to input, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an air dam like on this Chevelle.

View attachment 50950

Glastek makes one for a 69 Chevelle, I'm going to order one

i like the look of the front spoiler, I made a similar style for my car. If I could of bought, I would of done so, as was a lot of work for me to make, as I’m not a car body person

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I don't think many people look at these, but I'm going to keep spamming mine with updates. It will be cool to look back when I'm done and see all the progress.
My same thoughts, I very rarely get comments, but seem to get plenty of viewing. So I guess so folks must like it.
I find your thread nice to follow, keep up the good work (y) (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was going to keep it up, it's been an easy way for me to track my progress. My build is also pretty mild to a lot on here, some of these guys and gals are extremely talented. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Today I finished mounting stuff in the trunk. I was going to to move the battery box, after laying stuff out it worked well were it was. I changed the single old bottle bracket for this cheap billet double bottle bracket. I drive my car to the track a lot, and on a 200-250 shot I'll need to bottles minimum.

I always hated how the cables ran across the trunk pan. I'm going to route them differently, just haven't figured out exactly how. The negative cable runs through the interior of the car to through a grommet in the firewall to the engine block. I think I'm going to run the positive cable the same way. My center console is almost done, when it's finished I'll install it. I left it open on the bottom so I could run cables and probably my nitrous line under it.

Not huge progress this weekend. I'm looking at doing a rear seat delete. Mine isn't in great shape, and with the cage it's basically for decoration anyways. Figured I could clean up the interior and shave a few LBS in the process.

·
Mike
7,206 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was looking at those kits. They seems pretty sweet for the money. That's the direction I am leaning towards currently. It looks simple and clean which is what I'm after

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My buddy and I worked this week on making motor mounts and getting the transmission/gear vendors mounted. I bought a G Force cross member specifically for putting turbo 400/ gear vendors in an A Bodywhich made that part pretty easy. We really want to get the engine in the car as low as possible to help correct some of the drive train angles, and as far back as possible to help with the weight distribution. Working around the physical limitations of the car I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

This shows approximately where the engine is going to end up. My buddy is a machinest, so he took the frame mounts to work to modify them to get everything exactly where we want it and have it all look uniform.

The transmission and gear vendors fit pretty easily. I have read lots of installs and people were upset about the labor involved. With minor floor pad mods with a BFH and the right cross member it wasn't a big deal at all.

Lastly I finished draining the gas tank and reinstalled it. It's a stock tank with a Holley Hydramat in it, which works excellent. While the tank was out I put in a new sending unit and wired it up. Last winter I rewired the whole car with a painless wiring harness. This will be the first time I've had a working fuel gauge since owning the car!

After I finish the mounts (hopefully next week) I'm going to roll the car outside and clean the garage. I've tried to clean up after myself but it looks like a bomb went off and the floor has way to much funk on it for my liking.

·
Mike
7,206 Posts
With my BBC oil pan I needed to mill down the steering cross arm to clear my engine diaper, that's with the engine in stock location. Just something to check on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I put the oil pan on when figuring the motor mounts out, and I went as low as I could without hitting the center link. My buddy and I talked about milling some off it but decided against it. How much did you mill off yours? It would be nice to know how much I could cut as an ace in the hole.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I haven't updated this in a while, I've made some progress and finished a bunch of small projects. At this point I'm waiting on the motor before I can do much more, hopefully I have that in a few weeks.

This is what the trunk ended up looking like, I got the battery cables routed away from everything and I put a trunk mat in.

I pulled the interior out of it to run some wires, this is what the center console ended up looking like. I'm almost done getting it set up, then I'll wrap it.

Had to relocate the tach, it was in the way of the center console. Hopefully it's easier to see while racing too.

Got the motor mounts finished up, they turned out pretty nice and I'm happy with the engine location.

Took the car off the jack stands today, I think the front end will sit pretty low once the springs settle some and I add the 200-300 lbs of stuff that's currently not installed.

I need to measure and order a driveshaft, finish the center console, and wire in a few switches. Then it's waiting for an engine. I'm itching to go racing.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts