Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am starting a build thread for my 69 Skylark. I have had the for 12 years, and it was my first car and drove it to high school. It has gone through a lot of changes, and this winter I plan on really stepping it up. It started life as a stock 350 car, my sister blew the motor up, and after several 350 Buick combinations it ended up going 12.90s. When my 12 second 350 Buick broke a rod, I ditch the Buick stuff all together and did an LS swap. The car currently has a SBE 5.3 LS with a cam, turbo 350 and 8.5 10 bolt. This winter I installing a 402 LS, turbo 400 with a gear vendors, and a build 12 bolt. This car has been bracket raced a lot since 2013 and has probably 800+ passes and a bunch of street miles on it. The new set up will be bracket raced, index raced, and maybe try to dabble in some "fast street car" stuff. Basically just have a fast street car that I can still race and have fun with.

The 5.3 started as a carbed set up, and 2 years ago I switched to Holley EFI. This winter it will get the new drive train, some chassis updates, and we are going to paint it. I am going to attach some older picture of the car so you get an idea of where it started to where it is now. It is not the nicest car, and it never will be because I drive it and race it, but it has been mostly garage built by me and a few buddies and we have a lot of fun with it.

This picture is from 2013 when we first finished the LS swap. I took it to Gateway (my home track) and double entered it and won Pro. It had no interior, was several different colors, and was overall a pretty shitty car.

This picture is from 2017. After some years of working on it the car was in flat black primer and had an interior in it. The body was pretty rough around the edges still, but the car was still much nicer. This was right after I did the Holley EFI conversion

Since then my buddy helped me fix the body, and we shot it with flat black paint. It did not really turn out great and we plan on respraying it this winter. This picture was from a few weeks ago at the last bracket race I took it to. It went 11.95 which is the fastest this combo ever went. I can largely thank the -200 DA for that.

For anyone that likes Bracket racing I am going to attach a youtube video I made with my GoPro while up at the division 3 finals at Indy this year. There are a few others on my channel if you like stuff like that, and plan on making a bunch more next summer.

This was my attempt and showing you the progression of the car over the last 6 or 7 years. There is a lot on the winter to do list, so I will do my best to keep this updated.

If anyone has advice on an easier way to post picture, I am open for suggestions

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last night I started taking the car apart. I sold the 5.3 out of the car, so I pulled it out so the guy could come get it this week.

Before:

After:

It was getting cold last night, so I called it a night after pulling the engine. Today I took out the headers, exhaust, transmission, and drive shaft, and took the parts off the 5.3 that I need for the 402 and got it dressed for the guy who it buying it.

So far all I have is the transmission ready to install. Over the next few weeks my plan is to get the garage cleaned up and organized and install a electric furnace. I have some small projects to wrap up on the car and hopefully I have all the parts to finish the rear end and install it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Gary, it's a glastek hood. I have been pretty impressed with the quality of it, the fit has been really good. I've been watching your car over on V8Buick, that thing boogies. You have a sweet ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update, went to the machine shop today and got the rear end almost finished. I had a brake kit for C Clip Eliminators and I switch to a 9 inch end so I had to make a plate. It turned out pretty well and everything fits. Tomorrow I'm going to take it apart, paint it, and do the final assembly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After getting home from the machine shop I wired up a furnace in my garage. I had a buddy lined up to help me get a mach up block and transmission in the car. They bailed, but I wrestled it in by myself. It was a pretty big PITA because the turbo 400 with the gear vendors was much heavier than the bare aluminum block so it was really unbalanced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 5.3 is gone. It was in the car for 6 hard years of trouble free racing. Hopefully it treats the next guy as good as it did me. It was nice to free up some space, and get some cash for all the other stuff going on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a fiberglass rear bumper sitting on a shelf if you need one.
It currently has a fiberglass rear bumper on it now, but thanks anyways. I'm actually really considering putting the stock bumper back on it. It's always been a street car and I'm worried about getting hit one day. The stock bumper will surely offer more protection than the fiberglass one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
  1. Got all my rear suspension parts in. Tomorrow my buddy and I are going to take out the old 10 bolt and install the 12 bolt, TRZ Upper and Lower Control arms, Viking double adjustable rears, and UMI braces.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out with the old 8.5. I put this in when I was 15. It has stock axels, a posi out a junk yard and some aftermarket 3.73s. It has to have 1000+ passes on it and lots of hard street miles and burn outs.

The 12 bolt and new suspension went in pretty easily. Luckily I had a buddy to help me wrestle it around. It looks a lot more like a race car with all the double adjustable stuff back there.

We got the rear end done faster then expected, so we took the front end apart. I'm changing shocks, springs, a tall lower ball joint, and a bump steer kit. The bump steer kit involves drilling out the putter tie rod hole to 5/8. I don't have a bit that big or a good fixture to hold it, so I'll have my machine shop buddy help me out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, the 8.5 worked flawlessly. If I put good guts in it I wouldn't be scared to go really fast with it. I just switched to the 12 bolt because I found a housing for $200 and figured might as well switch since all the part of building it are the same

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it's definitely going to get an anti roll bar. It's either getting a TRZ or a bolt on H and R piece. I haven't decided what direction yet.

·
Mike
7,207 Posts
This is the TRZ under housing ARB, in my opinion it will be stiffer than a bolt on, and still mounts to the cross member.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called TRZ and asked about the under axel anti roll bar, and they told me they didn't recommend it with a 12 bolt because it will make the axel tubes want to shift in the housing. They only recommend those on aftermarket 9 inches, and told me to go with their over axel

1 - 20 of 40 Posts