Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in my shop a 69 mustang 302 all original, the problem we're having is this, when the car came in the shop we noticed that where the motor mounts bolt to the block there were 2 nuts between the mount and the block on each bolt to space up the motor, since he has a driveline vibration problem we took the spacers out to cure the resulting driveshaft angle issue. The vibration went away, but now the steering linkage (center link,power steering cylinder) hit the starter when you turn the wheel, it has a stock Ford starter. I believe there is only one starter for this car so that can't be the problem, the only thing I can think of is it has the wrong motor mounts, making the engine sit too low, not being too familar with Fords I don't know if there are different motor mounts and/or starters for V-8 mustangs. Does anybody have any experience with this issue? I need the power of the Bullet!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am only aware of one style and size of mount for a small block Mustang.
Do you have any pictures or better describe the mount style. It should be a 2 pc. mount with a bolt through the center. 1 half mounts to the motor, the other to the lower/inner shock tower. I will see if I can find a pic. Has someone mucked with the slave cylinder mount or location? or the drag link mount? Just thinking? My falcon center link touched my Canton pan but just barely.
Is it possible that the shock towers are sagging in that much ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
check vin.# to make sure was not a motor swap at one point in its life. does it have fan showl? if so does fan rub bottom?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, got a little more info from the car owner,seems as though the original engine was replaced with a 289, thats when the spacers were installed to keep the centerlink off the starter. With my limited knowlege of Fords I would think that the position of the motor mounts on the block would be the same on the 302 or the 289. But maybe there is something I don't know.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
I have a vague recollection from 35 years ago that there is something different about 351 and 302 mounts. The particular car might have been a Fairlane but I think the mounts are the same as a Mustang. I recall having this problem once, long ago and far away.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Look in a parts catalog to see what is different about the mounts for all those engines. NAPA on line or something like that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts