Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a long, ongoing project. The car started in my family ~1982, when my father bought it as his first car. After high school he raced it some, but it was still his only car. Once he got other vehicles he would chop it up more, but it was still a car he would drive to work. Fast forward to 1992. My father ran out of gas on his way home one night, and decided that was the starting point to a restoration. He took the body off the frame, blasted and painted the frame and all, put the body on, and parked it. Along came my older brother, and more responsibility, and there the car sat. Luckily for me, it sat in a garage since 1990. Come along to 2013 or so and my friends and I get a little knowledge in our heads, rebuild the carbs (tunnel ram) fix some wires and a fuel pump and get it running. Not well at all, but running. The work took more and more. I finally got it driving the summer of 2015, and drove it 3 times, and every time it came home with the help of a pickup. After getting fed up with the small block it had, I pulled it out, and put it under the bench. I got a "rebuilt" 454 from my old shop teacher and put it on the stand. I say "rebuilt" because it was, and did only have about 15 min of total run time on a stand. But, the issue is that he had students rebuild it, who didn't exactly check tolerances well. After getting a Comp custom grind cam made for it, painted it up, and intake, electric water pump, and custom alternator mount I dropped it in. Everything was great. I replaced the old Unilite ignightion for a MSD 6AL-2 programmable (by computer). I aimed the distributor is the general area, ran the fuel pump for a few seconds, pumped the throttle a couple times and it fired right up. After some timing and carb adjustments it was running pretty good. My whole build was on a deadline of July 3rd. My uncle was throwing a big party for all his old racing buddy's and told me I had to have the car there. I got the car driving with a few weeks to spare. Well, just as my luck would have it, July 2nd the trans lets go on my way home from a drive. The car can move a little, but it 90% slipps. Luckily tho my uncle is 7 houses up the street, so I limp it up in first gear, and get it to the party. Once it's home, I dive right in to getting the tranny out and rebuild. Now it's a reverse manual TH400. Somewhere along the way I find a deal on a procharger on craigslist, and scoop it up. After searching for a bracket I like, I get fed up and make my own. On my way to my buddy's house one beautiful late summer day, the car shuts off on me. No bang, pop, or clunk. I tried to start it up again and the motor is locked up. So my buddy picks me up with his trailer, we do what we had planned and then he tows me home. I get it in the garage and start to tear it down. I couldn't sleep not knowing what it was. I get the valve covers off and there's parts of a valve spring laying in the head. Pop the head off to find my connecting rod jammed into a hole in the cylinder. I still can't get over how smooth it shut off. That just about brings us to now. I'm building another 454, but this time with quality parts and assembled properly. I decide I want to do a turbo motor for the car. Not only for the power, I really enjoy building things. I started the beginnings of the hot side pipes tonight, and thought I'd start a build thread. My headers are starting life as headman 'hugger' headers. Well right out of the box I had to take the band saw to them. The steering shaft went right where the #7 cylinder pipe goes. Pretty easy fix, I just have to tight the pipe up some. I'll try to attach some pictures, from the old setup and where it's at now
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top