Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to tighten up the front subframe on my 68 camaro since im putting solid bushings in,had the front out to powder coat it and rebuild it,is there any special type of alligning i need to do to reinstall other than using the 2 allignment holes by the front mounts? I need to get it where its supposed to be so i can go ahead and weld on my subframe connectors,Thanks

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
you can use those holes to line it up, then measure in an X to the rear spring bolt centerline. Actually there should be 2 holes in the floor right infront of the spring pocket

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And where do i measure from on the front sub to the wholes infront of the spring perch? The whole that i use to line the front sub up?Thanks

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
yeah. I normall measure from them. I belive there is a GM service sheet that shows how the call for it to be done

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did my measuring and tried to line the subframe up,the front dowl holes are lined up pretty good with bolts through them and when i measure in an X pattern to the holes in the rear frame rails i get about 3/8 of an inch difference? Ive read that it will not always be the same with these cars cause factory was not very precise so is this an acceptable amount? Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
You should do a cross measurement from the lower control arm bolt to the oval shaped holes by the leaf spring. Don't just use the alignment holes up front. I made that mistake and ended up with one tire closer to the fender than the other.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try that tommorow also,I did measure from the front subframe bolts across to the round pin hole in the frame by the leafsprings and got about 3/8 difference?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
You should do a cross measurement from the lower control arm bolt to the oval shaped holes by the leaf spring. Don't just use the alignment holes up front. I made that mistake and ended up with one tire closer to the fender than the other.
oh mike is correct , Im sorry I use the alignment holes and also the control arm bolts. The pinch rail is the body lip under the car, not a good place to measure off of since its a pressed sheetmetal part but gives you an idea if you need to shift sideways . The X measurment will be best

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I use the lower control arm grease zerts. In the X, if you do it much just drill a set for Plumb bobs

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did my measuring from the lower control arm bolts to the slotted holes in the frame by the leaf springs and only get 1/16 of an inch difference in the X pattern,also measured to the pinch rails and got the same side to side so think im good to go.Thanks for the help guys,Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts