Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 68 cuda with a 318 and a 904 trans in it.i bought it from some mopar nuts that had all kinds of a and b body mopars and parts.they threw the eng in .it has headers on it to that the steering centerlink goes through.they had all of the front steering just loosely thrown together and it seemed to rub and hit all over but we pushed it in the garage and its been there for 2 yrs.i bought all new steering stuff from pst and put it in last nite.for the life of me we cant get the centerlink to go into place.is there a difference between the v8 and 6cyl?the centerlink is pinned against the oilpan and still needs to be aligned better but its wedged so tight we cant move it.i think jacking the engine up will give me trouble with it hitting the header where it goes through. could i possibly need a different oilpan? ive searched but cant find any good pix of a setup like this.any ideas.sorry i dont have any pix of mine

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107673642585528/#

·
Registered
20,223 Posts
I know those cars could have different K members depending on engine options....not sure how or if that could relate to your problem though since both engines you mention would been in cars with the same one. Have you seen this link?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Centre link is on the wrong way round
This is what I was thinking. Its it flipped around backwards? The ends of the drag link should be at a 90 degree angle to the chassis. I think if it was flipped they would be at an angle. Also the inner tie rods should be towards the front when bolted on the drag link. Grease joint facing the front of the car. I have a complete K member here I can take some pics of quick if you need it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes pleas a pic would be very helpful..i dont know if this is even an a body centerlink.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can the link be installed with the idler and pitman arm already mounted on the chassis and the motor in?maybe i have to put them on the centerlink first and then fasten the other 2.

·
Registered
12,904 Posts
Switch it end to end, if you look the ends are offset from the centreline, hence the difference when fitted, it sweeps at a different angle.
The idler and pitman can be on the car then fit the link.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
Along with the possibility of having the drag link reversed I am pretty sure you can also have the wrong motor mount brackets, though I never did an early Barracuda so I am not sure.....I remember all the time back in the day on later A body Dart/Demons getting motors that guys had swapped in and they would use the wrong brackets to adapt a big block to a small block K frame or visa versa.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
were gona lift the motor 2 inches and put the centerlink in place.then drop the motor and see whats going on.thanks for all of the replies.it looks like we have the correct oil pan and centerlink.it may have something to do with the mounts.

·
A Fine Example For Others
39,889 Posts
Here's a few pictures showing mine.
I'll throughly read the thread tonight and see if I can shed any additional information.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
26,867 Posts
were gona lift the motor 2 inches and put the centerlink in place.then drop the motor and see whats going on.thanks for all of the replies.it looks like we have the correct oil pan and centerlink.it may have something to do with the mounts.
That would also affect the trans on its mount.

·
Registered
40,999 Posts
They make big and small block mounts for six cylinder crossmembers too. Some cutting and drilling required but they fit perfect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we will check it out tonite but this pic shows the link behind the sump.ours is in front of the sump

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
we will check it out tonite but this pic shows the link behind the sump.ours is in front of the sump
With an OEM K-frame that's just about impossible , unless it has some type of bastard non-oem oil pan !

I know Milidon offers a deep Big Block pan that the steering link actually passes thru a tube welded into the pan.

The best solution although Not the cheapest is to go with a Fabricated K-frame, it will have tons of clearance for any configuration, and drive much better if you do a coilover conversion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts