Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am finally getting around to doing a build thread for the wagon. I have always wanted to build a wagon and finally got the opportunity! Here is the basic layout.67 Chevy II wagon, 25.3 chassis, 540ci BBC with twin 82mm Borg Warner turbo's, EFI, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, TH400, fabricated 9" with 315 Mickey Drag radials. Goals are to have a 7 second street car with all the amenities and have it done for drag week this year. I better get my butt to work!

Here is what I started with back in January. I picked up a 67 Chevy II wagon original v8 car with original power rear window. Car had rotten lower quarters and wheel lips, rotten rockers, and some cancer on the upper firewall where the front end bolts up. First thing to do was the metal work.

The bad ass Front clip that somebody made from a Corvair front suspension. Should be fun at over 180mph!:smt110

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now to the more fun stuff! This is my first time building and bending my own cage. I couldn't have done it without my buddy Dominic helping me and guiding me along to keep me from having an expensive scrap pile of screw ups! lol
Time to turn this chrome moly into a 25.3 cage!

I built my own version of a chassis table but up higher, to hold the body square and level once I cut the floor out of it.

The stands clamp to the rocker pinch welds.
On the stand and out with the floors!

Plasma cutter was putting in work!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The start of the cage. I ran the front frame rails up through the factory frame rails and welded them to the 4 bolt flange where the original front end bolts to.

If you can't tell yet, I have ADHD. lol, I bounce around from one end of this project to the other. Here I am mocking up my street wheels so I can cut out the rocker to have clearance for the front of the rear tire. Molded it forward with some 1/4" steel bar stock.

A-pillar bar

Got some help from my oldest! She's such a good helper!

A-pillar bars and windshield bar in.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some bad ass parts coming in! Here is the front clip I will be running. It is the TCI front clip with some upgrades. There is no comparing this front end with the Heidts I have on the orange 64! Very nice product! I can't wait to torture test it in what I hope to be one of the faster cars with their entry level front end.

Other end of the car

Smith Racecraft assasin bars, with split mono leafs and their spring perches. That's right, she's gonna be leaf spring! ;)

Found a good use for that 3 piece drive shaft I made with my orange car!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
more cage work

Mocked up a helmet so I know how far forward to bring the front funny car cage bar. Gonna be a bitch getting in this 4 door with the door x and funny car cage! I wanna keep it as far back as possible.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took a break to make some front spring boxes.

Flanges for the trans cross member

Setting up my driveline angle to get my cross member height.

Super whamodyne press brake ;)

Prepped and epoxied the inside of the quarters before I start to run tubing back there.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped the cage back to put the headliner and roof insulation in.

Started some patch work on the floor pans/kick panels and firewall while the cage was dropped back.

Headliner is in, and cage is back in place. So now I made some new thicker flanges to replace the factory upper 3 bolt flange on the firewall (where the down bar bolts to)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love Wagons got 2 Falcon Wags. Keep us posted looks like a fun project !
I love those Falcon wagons too! I actually looked for one, but decided to stick with the chevy II's Got any pics of yours?

Frank

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Front of the cage is all done, so now it's time to concentrate on the rear. Kind of a open pallet back there. Lot's of room! Main thing in I am keeping the back bench seat. Haven't really seen any 25.x cages with back seats so it's time to blaze new trails.

Had to put a kick in it to raise up under where the rear seat is. I want this car low and I couldn't get the spring high enough in the front with the rails going stright back with just a kick up.

Bolted up the front clip to measure and keep everything square.

Here I made some stands to put the sliders at the right height.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took a break from the rear frame and made and welded up my helmet guard bars.

The shaggin platform takes up allot of space!

Rear halo, comes around and behind the back seat, also put in the 2nd cross member between the spring boxes.

upper rear frame rails

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bouncin around again... oooh a butterfly.... lol Decided to put the dash back in and make up the filler panels around the cage.

Back to the rear to make a trailer hitch/chute mount

Seats fit in there pretty nice.

Big ole bearings for the anti-roll bar

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made up the rear bars. main goal was to keep the chassis stiff and keep room in the back for passengers (mainly my 3 little ones).

Made up this cross member then dropped everything down to weld it up since the headliner is in.

1 - 20 of 712 Posts