Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a guy wanting to put a 4L80 or 4L60 in the car but does not want to butcher or even massage the tunnel to make it fit. Does anyone know for certain if either will fit. Car has a 283 with a glide currently and is going LS.

·
Elite Member
14,444 Posts
How much power you plan to make with the LS ? The 4L60 is about as big as a TH350 as far as the case is concerned.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No more than 500 crank. I'm a trans builder trying to help the guy settle on a combo that fits without cutting

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
The 700R4 and 4L60 are the same tranny, the 4L60e is the same tranny but with electronic control. All will be a straight forward bolt in that hold up fairly well with minor modification. The 4L80e is a bigger tranny and will require tunnel modification.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
By all means yes the 200r4 is a great option! I installed one in my 69 Chevelle behind a 650hp small block. I have 4.10 gear in the rear and very very pleased with the combination! The car had a TH350 in it before but now with the overdrive its fantastic. I would highly recommend you have it "built right" in order to withstand a high horsepower application. I used Extreme Automatics Stage 3 and Lonnie Diers is very knowledgeable and good to do business with.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
The OP already mentioned he's a tranny guy. He already knows what a POS the 2004R is.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
IF BUILT RIGHT IT'S REALLY NOT THOUGH
True, but it costs a lot to make it right. A lot more than the 700R4/4L60/4L60e.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
As far as what will fit. I have a turbo 400 in my 66. It doesn't have the tunnel modified. Maybe you could get the dimensions off that to compare.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
As far as what will fit. I have a turbo 400 in my 66. It doesn't have the tunnel modified. Maybe you could get the dimensions off that to compare.
The belhousings are larger on the 4L80e as well as the main body diameter as I recall. Here are some of the other dimensions.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wanna bet?
No!.......lol.........The OP question can be interpreted as coming from the owner of the car or a tranny guy. But since his avatar seems to indicate he is a tranny guy, I digress. But the 200r4 is a great transmission if built correctly with performance parts.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
No!.......lol.........The OP question can be interpreted as coming from the owner of the car or a tranny guy. But since his avatar seems to indicate he is a tranny guy, I digress. But the 200r4 is a great transmission if built correctly with performance parts.
:smt023

I've been racing GM O.D's for quite a few years. ;)

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Hey OP, if you're going to run a 4L60e, look into converting it into a vacuum controlled unit. It eliminates the electronics.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Gear Vendors on the current trans??.

·
Registered
325 Posts

I'm kinda surprised at your statement.

TH-400's weren't available from the factory in '66 Chevelles.

Autos were PG's or TH-350's. 400's became available in model year '67.

400's are physically wider on the passenger side (at least), and I know the "hump" had to be opened up on mine to [barely] clear the 400.

To add veracity (?) to my statement, if one needs a floor replacement for a '66, the aftermarket supplies a '67 which is clearanced for a 400.

Getting back to the thread's original subject, I recommend the TH-400 with the Gear Vendors UD/OD. The level of strength can be built into the trans and the GV is good for 2,000 HP outa the box.

Using GV's older (?) analog controller (or their really pricey racing electronics box) and a [unique] shifting procedure will make for a close ratio 5-speed on a full-manual 400. The only additions are a 1st-gear-sensing microswitch and a toggle switch for O.D. in high gear.

Oh, yeah, installing a 4L80 trans guarantees one will have to open up the hump, as the O.D. is in the [fatter] front portion of the trans case.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the replies fellas. I have zero problem building a very strong or max effort trans. I see that the 4L80 doesn't fit, but still am curious about a 4L60 fitting without modification to the body.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts