Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 632 big chief headed nitrous motor with a single carb wanting to change over to a turbo. dont really know what to change on the motor for turbo set up, any sugestions on all parts would be a big help . thinking about using a 106 mm turbo with methnol ,need to know about what brand of parts to buy injectors,wastegate,turbo,efi,intercoolers,fuel system thanks for any help jason richards

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jason,

I would look at the Precision 114 for that size motor. You may also consider going twin turbo, since a 632 BC will need alot of air!

I would run staged injectors (160/160) or some 212s - those Moran injectors look awesome, but people are having trouble getting them it seems.

For wastegates I would use the Turbosmart 60mm PowerGates. These are, in my opinion, the BEST wastegates on the market. Good price and easy to get parts for. If you need a price, PM me.

I would also run twin Turbosmart RacePort 52mm blow off valves.

Go with a PT4000 or chiseld (sp) performance air/water setup for the intercooler.

Fuel system I am not sure on....hopefully someone can help with that.

For the EFI system, I would look at MOTEC, VI-PEC or BS3. The first two are insanely powerful and work awesome, but not many people tune with them, so that is a downside. The BS3 is very popular and can run a race car very well.

Good luck with the project! If you need any help, let us know.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i think in the past i asked these type of questions and was told

that a single turbo for those cubes might not be enough

some would say no need for a intercooler if u going to meth

those new moran injectors would be suited to your needs

turbosmart and tial do some nice wastegates-

bought some turbosmart gates off a guy here called carterrace- pm him or just scroll down in the turbo section to see his thread-

thats all i know really-

u should get some postive replies-

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I will say my 2 cents. I have a bbc 632 conventional headed bmf 405. I have had BS3 with twin pt-88 turbos at 3400 lbs on true 10.5 go 5.0's on gas. Now I have same motor with twin gt55-91 turbos with MFI 24 160 lb. injectors and the motor is much happier. With your motor I would drop the comp. down to 13.0 change the cam and put MFI by Allen Dudley. Youngs Performance can convert your intake to 24 injectors and help with setting you up on waterman fuel pump and any other needs. Talk to Chris or Wayne. I made 1800 RWHP with pt-88 gas but had back pressure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well I will say my 2 cents. I have a bbc 632 conventional headed bmf 405. I have had BS3 with twin pt-88 turbos at 3400 lbs on true 10.5 go 5.0's on gas. Now I have same motor with twin gt55-91 turbos with MFI 24 160 lb. injectors and the motor is much happier. With your motor I would drop the comp. down to 13.0 change the cam and put MFI by Allen Dudley. Youngs Performance can convert your intake to 24 injectors and help with setting you up on waterman fuel pump and any other needs. Talk to Chris or Wayne. I made 1800 RWHP with pt-88 gas but had back pressure.

Good advice!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
a single 114 isnt going to cut it on a 632,going to have some crazy backpressure,i would run a pair of promod 90's,they work excellent with that cid and alky

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
What's the compression at currently in your 632?

Don't forget a waterman 16gpm fuel pump

???
you think so?

even @ 2000 hp.... and meth fuel, and 1.3 lb's of fuel per hp....
is only 7.34 gal / min

3000 hp on meth ( turbocharged) @ 1.3 lbs of fuel per hp ....
is only 11 gal / min

fuel pump size is determined by horse power required ( or made..)

ash

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
???
you think so?

is only 7.34 gal / min

is only 11 gal / min

ash
It seems that turbo cars want much more fuel pump than one would think. 16 gpm would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I agree with some of the advise. A motor this large does not need 13.1 with boost especially with a single turbo. You can actually make more power per pound of boost than you can with compression. You really narrow your tuning window if you run this much compression. Top fuel cars run around 5.1 (Boost values)

If you run a single turbo make sure your boost overcomes the backpressure on a motor this size. Decide how fast you want to run before you choose. You can run meth if you don't like all the fab involved with intercoolers etc... Race gas will work fine though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fab

thanks for all the advise, a single with meth was my plan because of fab work and space, but it looks like twins may be the way to go. again i dont know a lot about turbos, is the back pressure from the headers going in to the turbo. also i have a 1963 chevy 2 post car set up for 10.5 i would like to get it to run in the 4.50-60 range. not really trying to run orsca ,the local races are getting better and they have no weight rules plus most of the time they dont show the et. thanks again jason

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would put twin gt55-91 or promod 90 turbos with MFI. It will make around 2800 hp. Turbos is the only way to go.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't know how you're calculating it but keep in mind usually people run cars like this below 4:1 a/f. Everything I do shows you need more fuel even using a conservative .6 BSFC.

???
you think so?

is only 7.34 gal / min

is only 11 gal / min

ash

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
I don't know how you're calculating it but keep in mind usually people run cars like this below 4:1 a/f. Everything I do shows you need more fuel even using a conservative .6 BSFC.

not calcuating, but actuall dyno data , and race pack drag race data...

i usally run the allky turbo engines around the .70 to .72 Lambda

Results shown , with turbo engines , ( mine, AND simular results from travis Quillian ... ex employee of Youngs perfformance...) the lb's per hour is alot less than a blown ( roots and screw ) engine.

Example:
my 355 tt sbc , flowed fuel system , mech injection , meth fuel , uses 4.55 gal / min showing 1400 ish hp

@ 1200 hp it uses ( off the data logger) 4.12 gal / min

even is we double it , to 2400 hp and add some...... 8.5 ish gal / min..

sure,
you can use a 16 gal / min pump to do the job, but why circuate that much fuel round and round ???

yes, you have heaps of pump to play with,
but
the return fuel system fuel lines, valving , etc have to be that much larger, suction that much larger, more chance for airation of fuel ,

Personally i would buy a smaller pump , less initial cost to buy it, but each to there own..

Cheers
ash

1 - 20 of 24 Posts