Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on a 632 (crate-ish motor) for my camaro and wanted to get some feedback on heads. This will be driven very limited on the street w/ a solid roller cam and pump gas. The crate motor comes with hyd cam and liberty heads. I'd like to upgrade to a solid roller and have the option of Brodix 365 dragon slayer heads for another $500. I'd like to know if this would be a decent upgrade for the cost (seems reasonable) or if I should look into a BBX head or AFR offering.

FYI, Motor will be sprayed with a 500 shot eventually so there may be some custom work needed at some point.

Thanks for any help, this will be my first big block build and appreciate any guidance.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
AFR heads are not full of Chinese parts, valves are typical aftermarket high quality valves from likely Argentina or the likes, they use PAC springs and cnc machined valve locks, also heat treated spring cup/ locators, unlike some that use just shims.
And one of the best castings in the business, can't go wrong with AFR.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
No. I don't know anything about Liberty.
Or you questioning what I said about AFR?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
No liberty won’t replace it if it breaks.
if it’s new and theirs a flaw they will exchange it or give your money back.
Usually

·
Registered
759 Posts
AFR heads are not full of Chinese parts, valves are typical aftermarket high quality valves from likely Argentina or the likes, they use PAC springs and cnc machined valve locks, also heat treated spring cup/ locators, unlike some that use just shims.
And one of the best castings in the business, can't go wrong with AFR.
OK THANKS!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what are you wanting to build, a street engine or race engine and to do what with?
Thanks JAFO, original plan is to have the car run an 8.50 index class. I don't plan on traveling a lot with the car since I don't have a truck and trailer at the moment, hence the pump gas option for all motor passes (N2O will be on an enrichment cell 116). I'll order the 632 late 2020 and swap over the winter. I also don't have plans to upgrade to a funny car cage. Yet. Current cage was last certified in 2005 to 8.50. Total power output set to 'kill' should be in the 1400 range in a 2950-3000lbs raceweight car. Should have no problem dialing back to 8.50's. I'm looking for an extreme 'street' car that gets driven less than 1k miles a year. Pro street essentially, but one that actually goes as fast as it looks. Maybe some fun no-prep stuff. It's a toy, not a source of income for me.

The Beal package comes w/ liberty heads but 'only' 815-820hp (dyno included) with a hyd. cam. I'd like to make North of 900, and I'm willing to deal with a solid roller, and put some extra money into the heads. Shouldn't be hard with that many cubes. Compression can be bumped to 11.0 and I have access to 92-93 octane everywhere I plan on driving. My question is, which heads will do this without breaking the bank? Builder says the Brodix dragon slayers will yield 900 maybe a little more with the solid roller. If I spend a little more, where does that put me? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

·
Banned
322 Posts
driving less than 1000 miles a year, you should really consider building a race gas engine but regardless which fuel you decide, do yourself a huge favor and spend the coin for Brodix Headhunter heads. I recommend the 383 oval port which will have this engine easily cracking the 1000Hp mark. Good luck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My 632 has brodix bb3 365 oval ports with the brodix intake. Its about 15.5 to 1 compression, which is a bit more than what you want. Also on alky. My blazer weighs 2976 with me in it. I use a restrictor plate and weight to slow it down to run 8.50 index. I was skeptical on a 365 head on a 632. I know there are much better choises in heads, but it works for me. Good luck on your build, Steve

·
Banned
322 Posts
other than your engine having the same cubes as he is planning, it's nothing close to the engine he is describing and while your heads aren't as good as the headhunter, they are much better than the dragon slayer. There are many BBC engine combos he can build that will easily make the power needed for his <3000 lb. Camaro to competitively run an 8.50 index class, it's just a matter of budget.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Agreed. The HH's are a good choice. I didn't want or need a big chief style head, wanted low maintenance, low rpm. Shift at 7k, trap 7400 ish

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know. So are my heads. I guess I worded things wrong. I got a good deal on my parts and was concerned the 365s wouldn't make enough power. If I had the extra $$$, my 1st choice would have been sr20s then the HHs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
driving less than 1000 miles a year, you should really consider building a race gas engine but regardless which fuel you decide, do yourself a huge favor and spend the coin for Brodix Headhunter heads. I recommend the 383 oval port which will have this engine easily cracking the 1000Hp mark. Good luck.
I really don't want to mess with 55 gal drums of fuel in a town house situation and tiny garage. It's 1.5+ hours to the closest track and it only has a 12 gal cell with no way to carry more than 5 gal of additional fuel. The cut off between street car and race car is a hard line at pump gas. Or buy a bigger truck $$, a trailer $, and have nowhere to store the trailer, so then I buy a house w/ a garage $$$$$$. Now can't afford the car I've built. ;)

So lets say I drop $5k on heads. What is the potential power over the Brodix DS heads keeping the same 11:1 max compression? I guess what I'm asking is will the dragon slayers support the HP I'm looking for? Or am I spending money on top shelf heads that I won't really be taking advantage of? I agree, I could easily make tons of power if I just built a flat out race car. A 15:1 alky motor is a great example, but after switching to alky, buying the heads, the truck, the trailer, the fuel, am I really having more fun? Are they worth the bang for the buck?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know your looking for a street/strip setup. I was just throwing in my 2 cents. Get as much enjoyment out of it as you can. I have a friend who did the high compression deal and wasn't on the up and up with tuning. He gas washed his race motor, went with a slower pump gas set up and is having a blast with the car on the street. Im sure the ds heads have more potential with some good port work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts