Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have basic the short already, crower crank, carillo rods and bowtie block. This will be going in a very heavy car around 4400ish. Looking for a good head intake combination single 4 barrel that will make this thing accelerate. I want to make 1000-1050hp and compression ratio is not important-will run race fuel also a small squirt of nos and would like to run a camshaft that is not to hard on springs. Anyone build anything similar with good results? Car will have a t-400 trans. I was thinking of the rfd edelbrock style head or maybe the 12 degree profiler with the smaller 415cc intake runner???

·
T/S 368E
34,460 Posts

Do you have pistons?? Need to know 1st.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you are going to use the 12 degree profilers and need pistons I have a brand new set of je's. They are for nitrous so you are good there - have 10 of them.
They are 4.603 and wound up being a little small for the rebuild. Would make you a nice deal if you do go that way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have diamond pistons but they are flat top and may change them. I got a good deal on everything from my builder and everything is new.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
You should be able to make 1100 with the RFD 24* head with
stainless 2.4" valves and a PORTED cast single intake, ..

have several people with that head and mild plenum port on a single 4 intake, 582 to 598 all made at least 1040 hp, ..

The "pro" version of that head is a different port, uses copper seats and
titanium valves, flows 485-490 and with a FULLY ported intake can make over 1200.

Of course, .. the 12* profilers stuff is fairly nice, ..

Curtis

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Jack,
Not to be the typical know-it-all, but what you are asking about doing is pretty much impossible in the way I read it.

You can't just grab any piston and use any head you have with it. Something and some kind of design must be planned before starting to buy parts and find bargains.

I am a 1st hand experienced user and fan of the RFD Edlebrock 24 Degree Heads from Curtis Boggs. I am convinced there is currently no better out of the box CNC 24 deg head available.

The Profler 12 degree head is a completely different animal and parts will not interchange. I also think that 415 cc port could work against you in that heavy of a vehicle. That depends more on the runner size in CSA though than in the total cc.

If you are buying new or used pistons, be sure the valve spacing, valve angles, valve sizes, and compression distance is what will work with your choice of heads.

Ed

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Slap a f2 supercharger on it and call it good. You should be able to run some fiarly mild heads, baby camshaft and if you like racefuel then it is a no brainer.

Meets all the requirements like easy on valvetrain parts etc you just layed out.

I have basic the short already, crower crank, carillo rods and bowtie block. This will be going in a very heavy car around 4400ish. Looking for a good head intake combination single 4 barrel that will make this thing accelerate. I want to make 1000-1050hp and compression ratio is not important-will run race fuel also a small squirt of nos and would like to run a camshaft that is not to hard on springs. Anyone build anything similar with good results? Car will have a t-400 trans. I was thinking of the rfd edelbrock style head or maybe the 12 degree profiler with the smaller 415cc intake runner???

·
Registered
953 Posts
You should be able to make 1100 with the RFD 24* head with
stainless 2.4" valves and a PORTED cast single intake, ..

have several people with that head and mild plenum port on a single 4 intake, 582 to 598 all made at least 1040 hp, ..

The "pro" version of that head is a different port, uses copper seats and
titanium valves, flows 485-490 and with a FULLY ported intake can make over 1200.

Of course, .. the 12* profilers stuff is fairly nice, ..

Curtis
Curtis, How much work would you have to put into the Profiler 12* heads & intake to get to the 1100 hp mark ? Would they be advisable for a Pro charger F2 set up? Thanks! Jay.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Depending on the size of the engine - 1100 is a piece of cake with these heads. If you are going 4.600 I have a brand new set of 10 JE I will give a great deal on.

·
T/S 368E
34,460 Posts

Ed & Curtis. Professional opinions please. I have a 557" I put together with some stuff I had.
Old old brodix-2, tunnel ram, dual dom. ~13.5-1 compression, so fair size piston.
Which heads will make the most HP and "should" go right on the short block & fit the intake.
Obviously we will double check everything. I know some of the fancy 24* stuff have a different chamber or port.
Just your thoughts, if you don't mind. Same recommendation as Jack?? Thanks.

JBL

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have a 557" I put together with some stuff I had.
Old old brodix-2, tunnel ram, dual dom. ~13.5-1 compression, so fair size piston.
Which heads will make the most HP and "should" go right on the short block & fit the intake.
Obviously we will double check everything. I know some of the fancy 24* stuff have a different chamber or port.
Just your thoughts, if you don't mind. Same recommendation as Jack?? Thanks.

JBL
To be honest, in my opinion the BB2 is not capable of moving enough air/fuel for a 557cu in engine. They seem to be more for the 468 - 495 sizes in my opinion. They do make a great street head with their smaller runners.

I am rock solid hard core sold on those RFD Edlebrock 24 degree heads excusively from Curtis.
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
For the best out of the box CNC head for conventional BB Chevy. I also have a piston designed to work great with that same head. Or Curtis likes his Diamonds that Mike makes.

The BB2 will work ok with Forced Induction engines though.

If you can budget it, Sell the BB2's people still are buying them. Turn that money plus some more to the RFD 24 degree Edlebrocks and send Curtis your Manifold to do a little wake up to. That is what I would do.

Ed

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Slap a f2 supercharger on it and call it good. You should be able to run some fiarly mild heads, baby camshaft and if you like racefuel then it is a no brainer.
That would be great with those BB2 heads.

Ed

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Sounds like the guy wants a low maintence motor. That usually means low boost with some decent heads and reasonalbe camshaft.

Easy combo.

400cfm head at 650 ish lift.

Pop a solid roller in it with some mild springs with something like 270 @ 0.50 duration.

Set of big tube header

f2
single plane intake

6500rpm 18 psi of boost 600ci easly 1100hp 1000lb ft. Perfect for an f2 pullied up and it will make good midragne which should get that 4400 mountain moving with a nice tight street frinedly converter.

That would be great with those BB2 heads.

Ed

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Jay,

To make 1100 with the 12* profiler stuff I'd think all you need is a good valve
job and bowl blend, .. 1100 should be cake for a spread port head.
I wouldn't use the profiler for a pro charger engine, .. why use that much
head when a conventional head will work?

JBL,

The RFD 24* head uses a "conventional" style ported chamber much like
a Dart pro 1, .. valve placement is close and often works with catalog
pistons. The only thing that might "get" you is if you use the 2.4" valve
version you might have to fly cut for radial clearance.

The intake port uses a Fel-Pro # 1275 gasket, large port conventional location.

The "pro" version of the 24* 490 cfm head I do uses a custom chamber, 108cc, slightly
different valve locations, .. so it needs a custom piston, ..

Curtis

·
T/S 368E
34,460 Posts
JBL,

The RFD 24* head uses a "conventional" style ported chamber much like
a Dart pro 1, .. valve placement is close and often works with catalog
pistons. The only thing that might "get" you is if you use the 2.4" valve
version you might have to fly cut for radial clearance.

The intake port uses a Fel-Pro # 1275 gasket, large port conventional location.

The "pro" version of the 24* 490 cfm head I do uses a custom chamber, 108cc, slightly
different valve locations, .. so it needs a custom piston, ..

Curtis
I did notice the 2.40 valve. I was hoping on a piston made for a 2.30 that the .05 was never an issue. We all know how that usually works out.
I just know that these antique 390 @ .800 things have to be killing a 557", especially with tunnel ram, dual dom's.
I just don't want to waste time & money on the motor for the old car. I was hoping you had something that was a 99% bolt on.
After mocking up & checking of course. Thanks for reply, always give great info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts