Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Roller seize in the lifter? Where these production lifters or someone else's? Glad you caught it before it really did a number, it seems the production lifters are chancy at best.
I think I read on Moparts that the lifters were stock 6.1s that were shimmed solid.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Roller seize in the lifter? Where these production lifters or someone else's? Glad you caught it before it really did a number, it seems the production lifters are chancy at best.
The Lifters were Hylift Johnson lifters that were shimmed solid. 3 lifters had needle rollers that were junk and one lifter tried to start twisting and wore the opening ramp of #7 intake. I think the lifter guide is what caused the issue. Its sloppy. I do t blame the lifters at all. I should have replaced them yearly and got greedy, trying g to go into a 3rd season with them. By shimming them solid and hitting them with considerably more valve spring than they were inted for, it's not their fault. Again, they should have been replaced sooner.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Hey Stephen, did LSM do the finish grinding on the cam or just provide the roughed in core?? I have used them in the past but didn't let them do finish grinding. I use Comp Cams for pretty much all of my custom ground cams since they have more published data than all the others combined. Generic lobe profiles scare the shit out of me to be quite honest. Awesome build thanks for posting. Did you ever start producing the belt drives??

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey Stephen, did LSM do the finish grinding on the cam or just provide the roughed in core?? I have used them in the past but didn't let them do finish grinding. I use Comp Cams for pretty much all of my custom ground cams since they have more published data than all the others combined. Generic lobe profiles scare the shit out of me to be quite honest. Awesome build thanks for posting. Did you ever start producing the belt drives??
I let them design the Cam Lobes. They're in the Cam business, so I trust them to know how to design a cam.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Lifters were Hylift Johnson lifters that were shimmed solid. 3 lifters had needle rollers that were junk and one lifter tried to start twisting and wore the opening ramp of #7 intake. I think the lifter guide is what caused the issue. Its sloppy. I do t blame the lifters at all. I should have replaced them yearly and got greedy, trying g to go into a 3rd season with them. By shimming them solid and hitting them with considerably more valve spring than they were inted for, it's not their fault. Again, they should have been replaced sooner.

All good info Steff, thanks for sharing. It makes sense that they'd fatigue after three years of getting beat on. I'm not sure what effect shimming them solid has, but my guess is it ain't good for them :p

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
All good info Steff, thanks for sharing. It makes sense that they'd fatigue after three years of getting beat on. I'm not sure what effect shimming them solid has, but my guess is it ain't good for them :p
I run a Solid Roller Cam with T & D Rockers. Nobody makes a solid roller lifter for Gen 3's except Jesel. I have Jesel Lifters now.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Steff what oil pump did you use ?, any plans in the future for different heads?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
It has the same effect as other solid rollers. The lash taps on the needles to the point some are not round anymore, they start sliding instead of rolling and the shit hits the fan from there.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts