Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new srt8 has a 392 and the older ones have the 6.1 . I heard some one saying the 6.1 is faster and has more power . What do you think

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm not a Dodge fan, but from my understanding the older ones could have the ECU modified to "make" more power. So maybe they meant the older can "make" more power due to being able to be tuned in the aftermarket. Suppossedly the new ones have the ECU's locked and therefore, they are stuck with K&N filters and Flowmaster catbacks. LOL.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This woman insisted the other day that he Bone stock 6.1 walks all over the 392's

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Stock for stock the 392 is definitely faster but there is no easy tuning solution. I've dyno'd one and it put down over 40 more at the wheels than a similar 6.1

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stock vs stock the new 6.4 car are slightlt faster, but as mentioned there is no tuning available for the ECU as it has been locked out and no one has broken the codes yet. The 6.1 is tunable and getting over 1100 Hp is now availabe with the right internal parts, my wife's 2010 Challenger has a best 9.18 @ 152mph full weight @ 4400 lbs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As others said, in equal weight cars the 392 is faster stock vs stock. But as soon as you want to start modding, ie forced induction especially, the 6.1 is the better choice because the 392s are untuneable atleast for right now.

Then again, remember that the Nissan R35 GTR was at first thought to be untunable as well until quite a while after it came out when COBB cracked it. Nowadays, AMS Performance has the Alpha Omega package GTR where you can send your car to them and get back a fully streetable car that makes over 1600+ whp and runs consistent 8.60s @ 170+mph with all the comfort necessities. So who knows..

Then again, a new Challenger/Charger is nowhere near the same league as the GTR in any category IMO. Im not a import fan either, its just those GTRs are monsters - definitely on par with a C6 ZR1 Corvette imo.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Has anyone cracked the 392 ecu yet? If COBB cracked the GTR then the 6.4L must be crackable.

I read somewhere its a rolling code like your garage door opener....I wonder if the GTR is the same

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Dodge has always been stingy with software to the performance minded consumers.Ford and Chevy send aftermarket suppliers samples and info to start making parts and tunes before a model comes out.Dodge was changing PCMs every two years because I heard that they have to release the info to the public then so they have already changed to a new Software.They have always given tuners hell for the last 10-12 years and it sucks.When new models or software is used it takes a while for the programmers to figure out the system for performance tunes,then they can wake them up even more. Just been my observations with Dodges last 10 years. I was also told that they do this to prevent un necessary warranty claims due to aftermarket parts being installed,then blaming the failures on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Dodge has always been stingy with software to the performance minded consumers.Ford and Chevy send aftermarket suppliers samples and info to start making parts and tunes before a model comes out.Dodge was changing PCMs every two years because I heard that they have to release the info to the public then so they have already changed to a new Software.They have always given tuners hell for the last 10-12 years and it sucks.When new models or software is used it takes a while for the programmers to figure out the system for performance tunes,then they can wake them up even more. Just been my observations with Dodges last 10 years. I was also told that they do this to prevent un necessary warranty claims due to aftermarket parts being installed,then blaming the failures on the manufacturer.
I read about their "warranty abuse" concerns but c'mon Dodge. Out of the hundreds of thousands of 2011+ 5.7's and 6.4's only a very, very small fraction are going to get tuned, and of that small fraction only a smaller fraction might get something replaced that was broken under a heavy tune.

They are losing more money driving people away from these military encrypted cars and trucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it goes 6.4L>09-up 5.7L>6.1L>pre09 5.7. when your talking stock for stock.

But when it comes to tuning the 09 and 10 5.7 is the best stock motor with just a tuning and bolt-ons.
Now they even have Cams for the newer 5.7's but they are a bitch to tune.
I think if they can get a handle on tuning a cam in the new 5.7 it will be the best motor period until them its the 6.1 if your modding the motor.
I love my 5.7L and I've gone low 12's on a stock motor with a tune.

·
Registered
725 Posts
as of right now Arrington Performance is the only company able to tune the 11 and 12 cars..
They are doing full PCM swaps to 10 PCMs. I have a 2011 Ram and have the same problem. Mine is only a 5.7 but has the same encryption.

They run jsut fine with a 2010 PCM if the tuner knows what they are doing (arrington) but other than that its a 100% full warrenty void to do and very very easily detectable because of engine hours on the PCM or something stupid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts