Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it to the shop yesterday and shop says injector went out. In the process of going out , the injector explodes the top off. Is this possible? And shop says it may have burned a hole in the piston? Possible? All major updates done. Head studs , egr .... 180k on the clock. Truck has been properly maintained.

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you see the piston top with the injector out? Never been in before, so I don't know.

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the top exploding , I would think it stuck closed. I will go by tomorrow to see the carnage.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Did you drive it to the shop? did you have any issues with the engine stalling. Ive seen the tops/solenoids broken off due to low fuel pressure and/or combustion gas getting in the fuel. The combustion pushes back through the injector and aerates the fuel. The injector pintle uses the fuel pressure as a cushion during injector operation. When the fuel pressure is low, or aerated the pintle will hammer, effecting its sealing. Excessive hammering can result in broken solenoid bolts.

If any of this sounds like what happen, make sure you replace the complete bank of injectors. And if this was due to low fuel pressure, you may want to replace all 8. Combustion gas in the fuel, is like a virus on injectors. In most cases, once there exposed to it the damage has started. From what I had seen, those that did not replace the bank of injectors, ended up in a visous circle, as the remaining injectors will gradually fail and by the time the 4th one on the bank is replaced, the initial one will start failing again. And I've seen this take place within a few months time.

Also, make sure you have the updated fuel pressure regulator spring.

Mike

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Seen plenty of them, more so on 03/early 04 injector designs
The bolt that holds the spool valve together will back off and leave the injector open eventually overheating the injector blowing the tip off and now your fine spray pattern turns into a hose melting the piston. If you take the glow plug out you can can most small borescopes in the cyl. I know snapon does. I had one drive in with the crnkcase and exhuast filled with fuel and oil to the top, and it even ran away other customer I watched it lol. Buried the tech until I threw a text book at it to slow it down enough.

Our trucks are severe duty so I tend to see more.issues then most, I do plenty of injectors and I'll tell you that the ford remans aren't any better

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started bucking and vibrating going down the road.Pulled off quickly and shut off. Towed from there. No word from the repair shop and worked to late to go by.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Try to get a borescope in the cylinder. See what happened to the tip. It could have imbedded in the piston, scarred the wall, or damaged a valve/seat.

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea , I'm afraid of that. Spoke to another diesel shop , 6.0 is notorious for this. You can do everything right and still be setting on the side of the road. He keeps his 7.3 to pull 6.0's to the shop.

·
Registered
703 Posts

A piston out of my 6.0. Melted up pretty bad and scored up the cylinder wall enough that I had to replace the engine. I was a couple of hours drive from home and tried to limp it home pulling an enclosed car trailer. I got within 20 minutes from home before the engine finally said it had enough.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
If it blew the top off the injector, fuel pressure is low.

Without the proper tool to test it, fuel pressure MUST be checked at WOT under high load.

With the proper tool (it has like an 18 foot hose and a calibrated orifice) you can check it at idle.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Seen plenty of them, more so on 03/early 04 injector designs
The bolt that holds the spool valve together will back off and leave the injector open eventually overheating the injector blowing the tip off and now your fine spray pattern turns into a hose melting the piston. If you take the glow plug out you can can most small borescopes in the cyl. I know snapon does. I had one drive in with the crnkcase and exhuast filled with fuel and oil to the top, and it even ran away other customer I watched it lol. Buried the tech until I threw a text book at it to slow it down enough.

Had one do that while I was driving it. Keyed the truck off at 4500 and it kept climbing until it ate itself.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
yup! i had a 5.9 cummins that has literally been idling on the same spotfor 3 weeks straight now, also ran away this week, it has 6000 miles on the chassis and 8000hrs in the engine, my agency breeds the best of them

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
yup! i had a 5.9 cummins that has literally been idling on the same spotfor 3 weeks straight now, also ran away this week, it has 6000 miles on the chassis and 8000hrs in the engine, my agency breeds the best of them

WOW!!

We had a couple up at the mine max out the factory hour meter in the dash on the Super Duty at 9999.9 hours, with 20-30k miles on them.

LOL @ hours vs miles - it's just due for it's first oil change! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts