Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

Currently in the market for a new summer car. Budget is 35-40k
Ideally I would like a 2012 Zl1 Auto but they are harder to find but I'm finding some good deals on low mile 2018+ mustangs.

Looking for some real world experience with theses cars or just advice.

I see the 18+ mustang went 11.9 Stock in a few articles which I know is perfect this and perfect that but I think that is still better than they ever go out of a Zl1.

I also see some dealers offer the 700hp supercharged mustangs but of course they are all sold out.

· Registered
1967 Camaro | 5.3 LS | S485 Turbo
10,018 Posts
A stock 2012 ZL1 runs something like 12.5, but like all cars it will pick up with mods.

Not on your list but an auto 6th gen Camaro will run around 12.0 with a DR otherwise stock, and with E85 and bolts can run very high 10s. With a cam and more work but stock engine friends have been high 9's with them (GPI combos).

Here is the 5th and 6th gen stock bottom end record list:

· Registered
2,368 Posts
The coyote cars are pretty impressive with boost and the A10 works really well. I have a 2016 with the 6R80 and twin turbos. On just 8 lbs of boost the car went 9.73 @141, full weight including spare tire.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A stock 2012 ZL1 runs something like 12.5, but like all cars it will pick up with mods.

Not on your list but an auto 6th gen Camaro will run around 12.0 with a DR otherwise stock, and with E85 and bolts can run very high 10s. With a cam and more work but stock engine friends have been high 9's with them (GPI combos).

Here is the 5th and 6th gen stock bottom end record list:

Thank you Jon

My goal is 10.50s and I think I need about 650 whp with the weight of these cars.

I've had 2 other 5th gens and my heart is 90% set on a Zl1 but I'm open to being persuaded..LOL

There is a 2014 ctsv Coupe local to me with 40K miles for 33K bone stock.

I'm trying my hardest not to settle but its tough.

· Registered
10,303 Posts
Drive a 2018 or newer A10 Mustang and see if you like it. You might love or might hate it. I have a 2019 GT/CS convertible and love it. If you get one that is under warranty you can have the Roush supercharger put on at the dealer and warranty is still good.

· Registered
2,368 Posts
Roush warranty is 3yr/36k from the original in service date. Won't get much warranty on a used car. Also the Roush blower is pretty much the worst option for a 2018+ Coyote. They heatsoak like crazy.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drive a 2018 or newer A10 Mustang and see if you like it. You might love or might hate it. I have a 2019 GT/CS convertible and love it. If you get one that is under warranty you can have the Roush supercharger put on at the dealer and warranty is still good.

I have a 21 RST with the 6.2 and a10. I dont mind how it shifts.

With it being winter here, I probably should have test drove one in the fall but I just started opening my options to one the last couple weeks.

· Registered
10,303 Posts
I love how my A10 shifts under full throttle. Occasionally it shifts a little wired at low or 1/w throttle. It is fun in Sport + mode, but downshifts a little too much for some people in normal driving. I put one of those adjustable pedal controllers in to change the pedal response. It works good in Normal mode, but in any of the Sport or Track modes it makes normal street driving too jerky. I wouldn’t waste my $ on it. I am going to put it in my 7.3 gas F350 and see if it helps the lazy pedal it has.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love how my A10 shifts under full throttle. Occasionally it shifts a little wired at low or 1/w throttle. It is fun in Sport + mode, but downshifts a little too much for some people in normal driving. I put one of those adjustable pedal controllers in to change the pedal response. It works good in Normal mode, but in any of the Sport or Track modes it makes normal street driving too jerky. I wouldn’t waste my $ on it. I am going to put it in my 7.3 gas F350 and see if it helps the lazy pedal it has.

That is exactly how my truck is and my truck tows really well. With that 6.2 and A10 it towed my 26x8.5 with my old 2010 camaro ss and a bunch of stuff inside no problem.

· Registered
1967 Camaro | 5.3 LS | S485 Turbo
10,018 Posts
If my 5th gen got stolen lol, I'd probably consider getting a 2016+ Camaro, probably an LT1 model (strippo), and do the works on it, headers, cam, ported heads, converter, having a car that can run 9.99 on E85 stock bottom end would be very enticing.

I haven't owned a Mustang for a long time but I know the gen 3 Coyote's are stout.

· Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I may have found something. Its local but there appears to be some weird shit going on if I'm reading the carfax correctly.

2018 gt a10 with a Whipple.. 25k miles 34k..
Have an appointment to look at it tomorrow.

It hit a deer and only replaced the hood and bumper cover with a gt500 hood and bumper.

Car has only had 2k miles put on since 8/21
Appears to have been to the auction twice im hoping because it kept failing NY emissions but that may be just wishful thinking.

I also find it weird the same porsche dealership in NY is still claiming to service it when it was sold in IL and now in MN. Fraud maybe? Lol..

Let me know what you think. There is a free carfax at the link.

· Registered
4,924 Posts
That carfax sure makes her out to be a whore with some issues.

If going fast with ease is your main goal, I would choose a Gen 3 Coyote. You could hit your goal n/a with full bolt ons, e85, tune, tire and weight reduction.

If you want a modern collector car that will keep a better value over time, ZL1 all the way.

The Gen 5 ZL1s are heavy pigs. I myself have upset a few Gen 5 ZL1 owners with my 6.0 C4 Corvette stick car. They need some good mods to hang with the latest n/a pony cars for sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts