Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has not been the best season since getting the new 582/glide combination running. As many of you remember, the first time out the car ran an all time best of 8.77 @ 156.6 footbraking. That day the third pass the car stood up and I lifted damaging the front suspension. $1500 in repairs/changes to be ready to race again, along with swapping the 4.33 gears for 4.11's to knock the finish line rpm down a tad.

Well, I was preparing the car for the next RAM race and went to lash the valves and discovered the #2 intake valve had excessive lash. After removing the rocker I discovered the retainer beat up, the underside of the rocker scarred and the tip of the valve missing and deformed. Before tearing the engine apart I pumped air through the cylinders and that #2 intake valve wasn't sealing completely allowing air to come back through the intake port.

I removed the engine and took the top end off as well as the pan. The titanium valves hardened tip was in the pan. I wound up replacing the valve, spring, retainer, keepers, rocker & lifter on that #2 intake valve. $311 in parts and $160 in Red label next day air shipping! :shock:

Got the engine back together and ready to go for the RAM race. With the new coil over setup in the front, the car's launch is totally different and it showed in traction issues that day. I did get one good run in which put me in the #5 qualifying spot out of 14 cars (8.79 @ 155). My day ended early running the #2 man in points which didn't matter as the car spun off the line.

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/jay-b-pics/?action=view&current=ToddGeislerMir.flv

The next day after that race I saw some water on the floor. The lower radiator hose was dripping. I tightened all the clamps and wiped up the puddle on the floor. The next day I found another puddle, this time the water pump. I was on my way to work, so I grabbed the drain pan and opened the petcock figuring I'll deal with this later. Once the petcock was opened 1/4 turn water shot out. I thought that was odd, so I opened the radiator cap and again, water gushed out. Clearly the coolant system was pressurized. I then opened the coolant overflow bottle and it was full.

I believe the head gaskets are allowing compression forces into the cooling system. When I had the heads off to replace the broken valve, I found the one Cometic MLS gasket cracked around the cylinder sealing embossment. Odd, but I had a spare from the build/mockup, so I trashed the cracked on and used the spare. My suspicion is the other original gasket may have had the same cracking issue that either I somehow missed, or it cracked when I torqued the head down.

Anyway, the engine is out and on the stand again and new head & intake gaskets are on the way.

This thing is wearing me down, but I and trying to keep plugging away full well knowing the potential this combination has.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Best summed up by that old saying........"that's racin"

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New combos can be a real bear sometimes. How do you like the switch to the glide?
So far I really like the glide. I am having a terrible time with learning to drive it all over again though.

After all these years of racing a reverse pattern th400, the switch to a forward pattern glide is a struggle.

I found out at this last race the car will launch off the t-brake in high gear. :smt021

I just gotta slow down staging and make sure the shifter is in first gear. Just not second nature yet...tough to retain myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts