Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 66 chevelle drag car last year. Has a 582 on alcohol 15-1 compression cam was said to be.750 lift. Canfield 310 heads. 4.56s powerglide 33" tire 3200lbs.

It was a bracket car and ran best of 9.2 @145 last season.

I want to get more out of it and think that the 310s might be choking it down.
Would the 310 can fields be worth getting ported?
I Was also looking at a set of the AFR 385s but not sure if it would be too big with this combo?
I was told it had weisco gas ported pistons. And with the 119cc heads it was at 15-1.
I wanted to keep the same pistons. Possibly keep the upgrade to a heads cam swap.
I also switched from a team G manifold to a profiler sniper and added a gz pro vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Take a look at the ProMaxx 370cc Shocker series heads. 450 cfm out of a 2.350 titanium intake valves on a fully cnc'd head that as delivered runabout $2800 complete for a pair will undercost and perform better than the AFR head.

Obviously don't pick a camshaft until you've got the head and its specs. you want to
use.

With heads like these and the right cam you will probably need a better intake for sure than the Profiler you have now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never looked at the promax heads before. I'll do some more research on them. Thanks for the advice!
What kind of hp do you think could pick up from going from a 310 head to the 370 with a matching cam?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just wondering Since you bought the car turn key .... Are you sure the heads were not already ported?

If there not ported already I know some people really like the Canfield heads after porting! I cant tell you what kind of gain that's a better question to ask one of the head porters on the sight for sure!

But I do think a 310 runner is on the small side for 582" .... porting or bigger heads seems to be a good idea!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the intake manifold off to switch the team g to a profiler sniper and the ports look factory cast. Were stamped 310 119 2.
Not sure how much a good head porter could open up those 310s?
I found a good local head porter. Tim's porting in santa clearita ca. Going g to talk with him monday. He said for a stage 3 porting it runs 800, then 200 to port match the intake.
Or I can save that ml insy sell the canfield and put towards a new set of heads.
Goal is get into the 8s on motor. T hi ow promaxx 370 heads look pritty good. But I cant find ang results from anybody running them.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have used 5 sets of their BBC heads in the last two years and had excellent results including flow checking their numbers. They make a great product and they are very price affordable.

Make sure you spec. when ordering the 2.350" titanium intake valves with titanium retainers and specify springs for .800" lift .

I will get you a suggestion on a couple of cam specs. for your 582. What rpms are you shooting for your package.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shift around 72-7500. Where are you finding the titanium intake valve? All I see is for the retainer.
Would around 1k hp be possible with these heads? It will also be running a 1350 pro systems alcohol carb

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Take a look at the ProMaxx 370cc Shocker series heads. 450 cfm out of a 2.350 titanium intake valves on a fully cnc'd head that as delivered runabout $2800 complete for a pair will undercost and perform better than the AFR head.

Obviously don't pick a camshaft until you've got the head and its specs. you want to
use.

With heads like these and the right cam you will probably need a better intake for sure than the Profiler you have now.
Are sure they have titanium intake valves. Titanium intake valves alone are $1100, pac springs and titanium retainers cost about $600. That means the heads fully cnc ported cost $1100 for a pair?

I would also bet $20 they don’t flow what they claim on either my superflow 750 or saenz d680

To the op. The Brodix 3xtra 365cc as cast head Head would be a good choice if on a budget. If not there are many options.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would at going through the engine. My 565 at 3200 lbs went 8.80’s at 151 but with 355 dart pro 1 heads.

·
T/S 368E
30,476 Posts

I'm doing the same thing with my old S/G combo.
I'm 90/10 on the Profiler Sniper if buying new. Unless a nice set of AFR's comes my way, then I would use them.

Good luck, race safe.

·
T/S 368E
30,476 Posts

Where is promaxx from??? I don't see a single mention of America or USA on their web site??

Sounds too good to be true. Will they handle 1500 HP or are they made from crap material, porous castings??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Says promaxx are from china but the cnc is done here in the US. Cant find a bad thing about them. Looks like scott fox well did lots if tests on them including Rockwell hardness tests and were very good!
I cant find any dyno or 1/4mi results.

For a little more shafiroff has the BB-3 XTRA 366/380 heads on sale for $3395.

Trying to see if they would work well with my combo

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Is this a tall deck or std deck? 582ci wants a big intake valve, especially if you want to turn some rpm. I'd be looking into at least a 20* Dart or Brodix, or the biggest 24* conventional you can find. I have a 450 cfm program for the Canfields with a 2.35 valve but IMO that's on the very smallest side I'd want for a 582.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts

Where is promaxx from??? I don't see a single mention of America or USA on their web site??

Sounds too good to be true. Will they handle 1500 HP or are they made from crap material, porous castings??

Imports. Excellent castings. As good as anything made in the US. Their CNC port programs are real nice. They do a good job. I have two good CNC programs that we run through them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The block is std. Deck. What do you think would be the best bang for the buck head that I can still use my short block?
Would the afr 385s or the promaxx work out well? I'm trying for around 1k hp

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sorry on my previous post, the titanium is for retainers on the Promaxx 370 Shocker series heads.

I think the AFR 385's are a little on the big side and the Brodix BB3x's-363cc-non CNC'd are a little short on flow but the special price is probably for the BB3x with only the 2.30" valve.

Again, right cam, intake and carb will get your 582 to 1000 hp at 7500 rpms with the ProMaxx 370 Shocker heads.

·
T/S 368E
30,476 Posts

We are trying to make 1100 out of a conventional 582", but I have a tunnel ram & dry sump to help make power.
Crew chief wants to stay with a smaller cam, .850 max. I'm hoping the Sniper can handle it.
I trust their castings & program, but his buddy is flying with the Promaxx, and wants me to consider them.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Sorry on my previous post, the titanium is for retainers on the Promaxx 370 Shocker series heads.

I think the AFR 385's are a little on the big side and the Brodix BB3x's-363cc-non CNC'd are a little short on flow but the special price is probably for the BB3x with only the 2.30" valve.

Again, right cam, intake and carb will get your 582 to 1000 hp at 7500 rpms with the ProMaxx 370 Shocker heads.
lol......
I have the 385 AFR's on my 532 cui, it makes 1100 at 8200 rpm.
They are not to big for a 582 cui high compression engine, anybody who thinks so is a fool.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts

We are trying to make 1100 out of a conventional 582", but I have a tunnel ram & dry sump to help make power.
Crew chief wants to stay with a smaller cam, .850 max. I'm hoping the Sniper can handle it.
I trust their castings & program, but his buddy is flying with the Promaxx, and wants me to consider them.

I just seen a set of Profiler 375Xl heads at a good head shop, brand new, let's just say their cnc work and valve jobs are less the stellar....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts