Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 565 with 14:1 compression, AFR 357 Heads, DART intake, 1350 Demon Carb. It has a cam in it already but the previous owner didnt know the specs. Im going to replace the cam so at least I know whats in the thing. Can anyone recommend cam specs for a drag car? Im willing to spin it to 7500+ and may eventually run a 300shot of nitrous on it.

Also, Im stumped as to the fuel I should be running...VP 111 or e85? What will make more power. Of course Im leaning e85 since its 1/3 the price.

For those who have experience with Big Block...how much power should she make?

Thanks for your help!

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
That head is in the middle of being big or small, so should make 850 hp or more, depending on the cam choice.
Opinions on cams are hard to pick through for me, so I'll let someone else take that question. I've asked the same company the same question several times, but always ended up being spec'd out differently.:smt102
I run Q16 in mine with closer to 15:1.
That carb sounds on the big side to me. -just my opinion. I run a 1195 King demon RS.
I only run to 7600 rpm myself. High 8's @150 in 3000 ft of air

Hope some of this helps you

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
What does it weigh, what tranny and rear end gear? Why not get the numbers off the cam you have and find out what it is - it may be just what you need. I would look at E85, but you will need the carb worked on to run it. You may need a bigger pump as well and the price is not quite what it seems because you will use ~50% more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Race Weight is 3400lbs, 1.80 glide, 3.27 rear gear

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent got around to changing gears, probably wouldnt go over 3.55 since i do street drive it once in awhile....I was hoping for 1000hp on VP111.

NA10.5, what size cam did you use?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
1st AFR says you need a cam with more then .75 lift http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=68_70
2nd tThe chambers in them at 121 cc. To get a 565 to 14:1 you need some very large piston domes with not alot of valve pockets.
3rd Since the guy you got it from didn't know what the cam spec was I would suggest taking it apart first to see what you really have.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did,

AFR 357s
Jesel Rockers
Jesel BeltDrive
Oliver Rods
Callies Crank
JE pistons (14:1 CR)
Gen V Block
CSR Water Pump
Dart Intake
1350 King Demon

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
That gear is going to really hamper you at the track. I doubt there is an off the shelf cam optimal for a combo like that. The carb is very large and the heads are in the middle. The gear is very small. The heads will "want" 6,800-6,900 rpm, but the carb will want a lot more. Unless you change the gear, you will need to change the carb and maybe the heads or it will be a real mismatch. If you want to use what you have go to a 3.70 at least. Use a cam in the 275/285 range with as much lift as the duration will allow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts