Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine is a 565 4.600x4.250 15 to1 comp gas ported 043 rings 3mm oil ,alum rods,dart 370 oval port heads fully ported with 2.350 titanium intake valves and 1.88 titanium exhaust valves with a 50 degree angle heads flow 440 in and 332 ex at 900 lift ,sniper intake fully ported,pro-system 1300 cfm dominator , shear plate,vac pump,2 1/4 to 2 3/8 stepped headers with 5 in collector mufflers. block has 55 mm roller cam bearings. car is 3300 lb 10 in tire car running a 180 gear powerglide 9 in 6000 converter and a 28x10 slick.gear is 4.11 need help with cam choice and rocker ratio mainly can run up to 950 lift dont mind tuning engine way up.also going to run q16 fuel.also would like some power estimate. sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hate to go first but I will say it might make 950. What are you expecting.

Others will have better and more experienced answers for you.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Ok not to jack your thread but I would like to know how you or anyone else gets 15:1 compression with a 24 deg head when using a .800+ lift cam and aluminum rods?
I understand you did not spec out your cam yet but I assume anyone that steps up to those big flowing heads will not be running something under .800 lift.
Chris, Curtis or Mike am I way off on that statement?
I also personally think you need to work with a good converter guy and have one built after you know your engine combo and/or dyno it so you know where peak torque and horse power fall so the whole combo works like a well oiled machine.

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
Ok not to jack your thread but I would like to know how you or anyone else gets 15:1 compression with a 24 deg head when using a .800+ lift cam and aluminum rods?
I know of one BBC that is 17 to 1 with conventional heads. It takes a good engine builder who knows how to make it all work together. Knowing valve events and how to make a custom piston will get the job done.

BTR performance is good for custom stuff like this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I run a 565 with Dart 355 CNC heads, it's a Reher Morrison combo, they call it a 565 hot rod. It has a little less compression but similar flow numbers (close anyway) and a Super Victor intake. Mine Made 1020 HP @ 200 rpm/sec. with an 1150 cfm carb. The cam is 288/[email protected] on a 114* lobe spread. Int lift .855 Exh lift .837 with 1.8 rockers. Peak power is at 7600 rpm.
Needs about 6k stall speed and needs to be shifted about 8k. I also run the Q16.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I run a 565 with Dart 355 CNC heads, it's a Reher Morrison combo, they call it a 565 hot rod. It has a little less compression but similar flow numbers (close anyway) and a Super Victor intake. Mine Made 1020 HP @ 200 rpm/sec. with an 1150 cfm carb. The cam is 288/[email protected] on a 114* lobe spread. Int lift .855 Exh lift .837 with 1.8 rockers. Peak power is at 7600 rpm.
Needs about 6k stall speed and needs to be shifted about 8k. I also run the Q16.
Need et,weight numbers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whats the good of testing an engine like that at 200/sec....

You need to ask Reher Morrison that question:smt102

But if you use a calculator and divide the rpm increase during the run by the ET it's not too far off :butthead:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This is a drag race engine that will be accelerating down the track at 600/sec or faster in the lower gears.
So its best to test it like that.

Their would alot of power difference on 1000hp engine if tested at 600/sec verses 200/sec

I think alot of engines get sold this way...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'd NEVER test a drag race engine any slower than 600 RPM/SEC unless it has a non-agressive cam profile in it and sufficient oil getting to the springs.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting.....
I almost always see either 250 or 330 rpm/sec acc rates evan on drag motors. This IMO, is a good way to test the motors "adittude" as far as how hard it will pull regardless of load applied. Some engines will give the old "birdie" right back at the dyno when load is applied.

To me.. 600rpm/sec rates are great only for testing very lightweight parts to see how much of an advantage they are.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
What are you referring to with these numbers? The setting for the automatic accel rate on a fully automatic dyno? Every dyno I have been around had a manual valve to load and unload the engine and I hope that's why I don't have a clue about what you're saying......LOL. RM

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.