Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for opinions on 565 crate motor on alchol. Steve Schmidt, Shafiroff, Rher-Morrison, all sell them. They all run specials but different combinations. I currently run a tube car 2269 lbs at 8.90 but motor not dependable , I been told 565 is a good bracket motor?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
It is, shop around, there are a lot of those engines out there.

Dave...

looking for opinions on 565 crate motor on alchol. Steve Schmidt, Shafiroff, Rher-Morrison, all sell them. They all run specials but different combinations. I currently run a tube car 2269 lbs at 8.90 but motor not dependable , I been told 565 is a good bracket motor?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Reher Morrison hr565 is a good pc. I have a buddy with one it Made within 20 hp of what was advertised. Also deadly consistent.

·
Creeper
6,262 Posts
565 is a great combo. All the above would be fine.
My 565 was a RM 540 bracket motor for 8 yrs , tough enough to gain some respect for RM. Did the 565 local and love it.
Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have heard good and bad about all you have listed except R & M.....all I have ever heard and seen of their stuff is positive....very positive.
I will also add that we just recently took a good friends advice and switched to a 565 we built ourselves using R&M's Blueprint and we could not be happier.....easy on parts and deadly consistent and also within just a few horses of what they advertise their Crate Super Series Engines at.
If I had the money to do so you can bet I would have a Brand New Super Series 565 setting in our Bracket car.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I have heard good and bad about all you have listed except R & M.....all I have ever heard and seen of their stuff is positive....very positive.
I will also add that we just recently took a good friends advice and switched to a 565 we built ourselves using R&M's Blueprint and we could not be happier.....easy on parts and deadly consistent and also within just a few horses of what they advertise their Crate Super Series Engines at.
If I had the money to do so you can bet I would have a Brand New Super Series 565 setting in our Bracket car.
I can tell you about 1 cluster fuck of a job they did for me, 565 short block, they had the heads to do the custom pistons. Assembled short block.

The valve reliefs were cut right down behind the top ring land, invisible from the top of the piston which all I could see with it being assembled already by RM. It blew the chunk of piston out (no surprise) within a few runs. I called them looking for a remedy, not a warranty. They over the phone had absolutely no clue how to fix it other thenkto tell me my heads were never going to work (12 degree profiler) and that I needed to buy their new 12 degree head ($9000).

Long story short I didn't feel they were competent after that call so I called Steve Schmidt. He had my confidence from the word go and had it fixed in no time. A year later after 200 runs I called Reher Morrison and asked if they would be willing to pay for their mistake, they said send us a piston and we'll look at it. So I did, then they told me no, they wouldn't pay anything and asked if I wanted the piston shipped back lol. Its garbage I told them, don't bother.

Flash forward a couple weeks, they (Reher Morrison) are using MY piston that THEY (Reher Morrison) did for me in the full page add in National Dragster saying that it was Steve Schmidt's (without actually saying Steve's name but saying it was the "Comeptetors 12 degree piston and head" there was no other big name builder at the time with a 12 degree head) work and comparing it to thiers.

If anyone wants to see proof of every step of this issue, I have no problem posting recipts and documentation as well as the ad from National Dragster that they ran for almost an entire year.

David Reher can thank his employees for this, because I tried repeatedly to talk to Mr Reher about this but always got shuffled back to I believe "Alan" (its been a while, but I'm pretty sure his name was Alan. )

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Look in any national dragster from 2005, you'll see two 12 degree pistons in thier ad, both are REHER MORRISON pieces, even though the ad will have you believe differently.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I personally wouldn't be afraid of a Sunset or a Reher piece. You'll have horror stories about every shop, I hear them all day long in the business I'm in so take it for what it's worth.

That being said if you have a shop close to you that knows what they're doing and has a good reputation I would go with them. It's pretty nice to be able to call the engine builder and have him come to the track or your shop if you've got an issue.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
That's why I shop around for machine work, and do all my own clearancing, mock up, and assembly. I'm pretty particular and have dumped several local shops I've used in the past simply because their work is less than what I felt I paid for. I don't believe the most expensive is the way to go, or the biggest name, but you can learn a lot by walking through their shop and seeing first hand what equipment they have and who's running it......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts