Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is kind of a weird question but here goes... i ordered a new block http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_4550. i ordered this with a 54 mm cam tunnel but there was some confusion and it got delivered with a 55mm cam tunnel so i just accepted it. there is someone that has a couple of cam cores made but not many and they're not to cheap. so what i was wondering is there some way to get a special (thicker) bearing made to fit the 55mm cam tunnel on the outside but the inside diameter will fit a 54mm cam core? i have no idea if this is possible but id thought id try before i decided to shell out alot of money. other than that the block is a very nice piece with lots of detail

Cody.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think if you do the conversion 54mm is stock bigblock ford diameter.As for spacer bearings good luck I don't think they make what you need.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Never heard of a 54 mm cam for a performance appplication.
i thought its pretty common.lots of the combos from steve schmidt come with 54mm core babbit ford bearing.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
isnt the 55mm setup a roller bearing deal?.if so the cam tunnel would be way bigger than any babbit type bearing could take up for.i would mic the cam tunnel and go from there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got a couple 55mm cams you might be interested in. One needs a regrind but I'd sell it pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes 55mm is a roller bearing. Cody your block {is 55mm} LSM has all the info for this deal the raised cam block you have the lifter bore angle is not 44 degree buick. It might cost you more not to use the right cam. You also need to talk with Mike about the belt drive for the raised cam lower gear to crank fit. This will not be a cheap build!

·
Super Moderator
35,331 Posts
There is 55mm Slider, and 55mm Roller cam bore diameters.... the journals are the same on the cams but the bore diameter in the block is different for roller, or slider.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
We have 2 rocket-Iron eagle projects with 54 mm cam journals ,use a babbit-coated bearing from Calico,its wider than the 460 Ford bearing,also 3 big blocks with 54 mm babbitt in the works,Comp has had cores for this for a long time,also several 55mm babbitt projects ,the bore size for a 55 mm babbitt is the same for a 50mm roller bearing.We prefer the babbitt.Bill C.

·
Super Moderator
35,331 Posts
Interesting, I've never used a 54mm bearing. Not sure I understand the reason for 54 instead of what I would call the standard being 55mm.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Some reference points, the BBF cam journal is 2.125 or 54.66 mm. The 460 sleeve bearing for this journal is 2.250 OD nominal and .590 wide. You can substitute 5 #1 Cleveland cam bearings that are the same OD but are .670 wide for a bit better load capability.

The Ford roller cam bearing for this journal is 2.500 OD. The only sleeve bearing I'm aware of for this bore has an ID of 60 mm.

If I recall some of the older DRCE blocks were bored for the BBF bearing and Dart may still do this on some applications.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes 55mm is a roller bearing. Cody your block {is 55mm} LSM has all the info for this deal the raised cam block you have the lifter bore angle is not 44 degree buick. It might cost you more not to use the right cam. You also need to talk with Mike about the belt drive for the raised cam lower gear to crank fit. This will not be a cheap build!
good point. mike is working on the belt drives right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts