Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
THEN ITS NOT blowing thru the converter, whats the rev limiter set at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
rev limiter is set at 6100.
Using the wallace racing calculator (and other websites as well) it says that with 4.56 gear, powerglide, 32 tires and 6100rpm the car should be going thru the lights at 127mph, and the car is only doing 102mph.
If all the track the car is going at max rpms, do you think I should try a 4.11 gear or smaller?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I NOT ASKING MPH,............WHATS THE CAR CROSS THE STRIP AT FOR RPM?

·
Registered
35,290 Posts
You're not talking to an expert by any means, but if that thing is only dropping 150rpm between shifts, there's a converter problem. Period.

For what it's worth, a close friend runs a 565 BBC with 14.5 compression, good Dart heads and block, and the same Ron's Terminator on alcohol...no power adders...and the dyno numbers are 1020hp. His 2600 pound car runs consistent 5.60s - footbraking. We can argue Ford vs. Chevy all day long, but it stands to reason a nearly identical Chevy engine isn't 220hp stronger than its BBF equivalent. And the OP mentioned misfires....

More than one thing going on here, methinks.

·
Registered
12,524 Posts
The weight of the car, convertor, and gears are all amiss, fkn thing never uses the torque curve, try 4.10 or whatever gears.

·
Void
75,329 Posts
6100 rpm is not enough. Sounds like your converter is locked up.

My 555 ci Chevy would go through the traps @ 8200
Launch 4400 , shift 7000, 456 gear and weighed 2600 w/driver

Ran 5.teens in the 1/8, 8. teens in the 1/4

Like someone said earlier, take that back to the builder, he missed 100hp somewhere.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
BLOWING THRU the converter it would be a lot higher then 6100 thru the lights,and it would be on the limiter, take the eng apart fix it,and get a real converter, 6100 is way low wrong cam to Ill bet. QUESTION OF THE DAY....................CAM SPECS?

·
Registered
186 Posts
BLOWING THRU the converter it would be a lot higher then 6100 thru the lights,and it would be on the limiter, take the eng apart fix it,and get a real converter, 6100 is way low wrong cam to Ill bet. QUESTION OF THE DAY....................CAM SPECS?
Read the first sentence of post #22

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
YUP,I missed that . W T H is it set so low?

·
Registered
328 Posts
dyno and real world are totally different . launch bout 46 to 4800, shift at 6500 trap at about 7000.. timing about 34 to 36 on a oem style head ,

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
What cam is in this engine? We ran very similar combos and always spun them to 7,000rpm +
I'd find another engine builder if he told you 6500 was your absolute max.
Even a street 559 BBF with decent heads will make 800hp.

·
Registered
182 Posts
raise the RPM limiter to 6600 and make another hit.
You will kill it running it against the limiter.
You are running it 100rpms from the limiter at the shift and it drops only 150rpm, then climbs fast and sits at 6100 aaaaall the way through the traps.

at 6100 it is not making power against the converter to pull the calculated mph, the rev limiter keeps the engine flatlining. nothing is happening other than the engine is shaking the skirts off the pistons.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would think the 30* of timing is way low for injected Methanol. The only time I have herd pops out of mine is when I went way lean.(2 kits on with no enrichment fuel). Check plugs maybe even go to some -8s. I think your fuel and timing are holding you back. Double check the fuel shut off movement make sure it goes WO. The stall or trans is missing something like said above. Good luck.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts