Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what if any drawbacks there are to building a 557 BBC. Dont here of many guys building them. Why is a 540 more popular. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want a 4.5 bore with 4.375 stroke and 6.385 rods.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twin turbo chevelle. Want to have some fun no specific class rules.

·
T/S 368E
31,118 Posts

I've used them for years and never an issue with N/A & N2O combo's.
I have since bought a blower and learned that with a 9.8 it's too much stroke to fit the HD parts.
If you don't have the crank yet, consider the 4 or 4 1/8 so you can use the monster rods & bigger cam core.
If you don't have the block, get the raised cam block.

I learned the hard way and now have stuff I can't make work!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i figured? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What stroke and rods should i be looking at.

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
On forced ind. stuff I tell guys that they have a better chance with the 4.5 bore and keeping head gaskets in one piece. The next available "shelf" gasket over 4.53" is 4.64". IMO it's better to stick with a little smaller bore and keep some gasket material between the cylinders, unless you're going all the way to 4.60 bore.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
On forced ind. stuff I tell guys that they have a better chance with the 4.5 bore and keeping head gaskets in one piece. The next available "shelf" gasket over 4.53" is 4.64". IMO it's better to stick with a little smaller bore and keep some gasket material between the cylinders, unless you're going all the way to 4.60 bore.
X2

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im good with that didnt want to bigger than 4.5 anyway.
What stroke and rods work best?

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
Im good with that didnt want to bigger than 4.5 anyway.
What stroke and rods work best?
I don't have a problem with the 4.375 stroke as long as you're willing to invest in the best, full kick out, full feature oil pan you can get, or go dry sump. As far as rods, the longest one you can afford. If you want a 6.385 rod you could go with a 1.27 piston, (JE Inverted dome 257942) shave a little off the top, run it a little out of the hole and run a thick head gasket. If you had a true 9.8 deck and took .03 off the piston, you'd only be out of the hole .013" which is easy to make up with a gasket. Truth be told, though, that extra 16ci over the 540, with twin turbo's, wouldn't be worth all the trouble. You can make just as much power with the 540 with a few more pounds of boost and a LOT less hassle.
JMO

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
for a turbo build no way I'd use the 4.375" stroke, ..
back it off to the 4" and use the heavy duty stuff like Mrdragster said.

Typically in the limited tire stuff I work on, x275, 10.5 ect, they benifit
from the shorter stroke, little less torque, quicker spool and more
manageable power curve to get it down the track.

Curtis

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
for a turbo build no way I'd use the 4.375" stroke, ..
back it off to the 4" and use the heavy duty stuff like Mrdragster said.

Typically in the limited tire stuff I work on, x275, 10.5 ect, they benifit
from the shorter stroke, little less torque, quicker spool and more
manageable power curve to get it down the track.

Curtis
the more cubes you have the more turbo you need for a given rpm range.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for the info. I know now to stay away from that idea. Thanks again.

·
T/S 368E
31,118 Posts

Good decision, I already had a bunch of stuff from my 557" conventional headed motor, and my 582" Big Chief style engine.
I already bought the blower, intake, block ect. so now I'm going to have to get a 4" crank and new rods & pistons,
to make it work in the short deck with the monster GRP's and the bigger cam core.
Trust me as cheap as I am, if there was a way to reuse all my stuff I would, but it's just not worth the risk.
2000 and more HP is not something you want to mix & match on!!

Good luck, hang on & have fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts