Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to the turbo's , i have a 871 roots blower on a 540ci in my car now and i was thinking of removing it and going twin 91mm turbo's with a blow thru carb , i don't want to do efi,
just cost to much.
what do you guys think?
i know steve morris just made 2100 hp with a blowthru setup.
and what about streetablity, can drive it to the shows?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I second that. If you've got the money to buy a pair of 91's and the associated hardware, EFI shouldn't be much of a setback.

-Chris
I 3rd that.......also makes like alot easier tuning wise. Blowthru is tough to get right and keep right as weather changes.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I 3rd that.......also makes like alot easier tuning wise. Blowthru is tough to get right and keep right as weather changes.
The weather has very little affect on a blowthrough setup. Ive never had a problem with changing weather conditions. Unless i am trying to make a drastic change in boost, nothing ever changes in the carb. Runs fine...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The weather has very little affect on a blowthrough setup. Ive never had a problem with changing weather conditions. Unless i am trying to make a drastic change in boost, nothing ever changes in the carb. Runs fine...
x2......300' DA to 3000' DA, same jetting. Maybe 1 or 2 numbers up/down if I really want to fine tune but don't have to.

Craig

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can get a deal on turbo's.
i'm not a serious racer, and only go to the track once a season.
i can tune any carb thats not a problem.
try to tune two dominators on a roots supercharger.
i'm not goin to spend any more than i have to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
do it right once fuel injection is the future carbs are the past money should be no object when you build a race/show car.twin 91s look bad ass under any hood have fun with the build. Post up some pictures when you start mocking it all up have fun.
CMAFR:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
efi cost way to much for me right now.
it costs alot more than a blowthru and i still don't think it's better.
the injectors alone cost more than a blowthru.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
80, 88, or 91 's in twin form any of these combo can get you well over 2000 hp. A pair of $650 S475's cant you over 1500+ hp, not bad for only only $1300.
Carb cars are very driveable. Along with solid rollers and belt drive fuel pumps, all of these have been proven on the street with hundreds and thousands of of miles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about header for turbo's?
or diy kits?
and equal or none equal lenght ?
front mount or rear mount?

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
what about header for turbo's?
or diy kits?
and equal or none equal lenght ?
front mount or rear mount?
I think most people either build the headers or have a chassis shop build them. You may try some of the bigger name header shops and see if they offer some type of kit. The equal/unequal is not that big of a deal on the turbo stuff and I would definitely stick with front mounted turbos if it were mine.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
i can get a deal on turbo's.
i'm not a serious racer, and only go to the track once a season.
i can tune any carb thats not a problem.
try to tune two dominators on a roots supercharger.
i'm not goin to spend any more than i have to.
EFI will cost you not much more then a couple hundred dollars over a properly setup blowthrough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
efi is not going to happen on my car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOW! you ask everyone and know this. How are you going to fuel this thing? You won't have much luck with methanol injection using a carb with a turbo! You can't run the methanol because there is no way to tune it and the water cools the exhaust too much even though it will suppress detonation. Your roots is not the same as a blow through turbo setup. If you run alky carb then EFI would be a better cost alternative as it will also give your ride a better value. Have you really price this out? You should run a single 106 as all cost including fabrication, waste gates, etc are cheaper. I hope you have some good luck with that carb and the big turbos.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Better plan on running multpiple carbs.

i'm new to the turbo's , i have a 871 roots blower on a 540ci in my car now and i was thinking of removing it and going twin 91mm turbo's with a blow thru carb , i don't want to do efi,
just cost to much.
what do you guys think?
i know steve morris just made 2100 hp with a blowthru setup.
and what about streetablity, can drive it to the shows?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i don't run meth injection on my car now.
i do run nos dual big shot plates set at 225 hp.
and i may go single turbo.
and most likely will run gas.
all i'm saying is no efi on my car.
and i've have owned my car since 83 and my uncle bought it new
so the car is not ever goin to be sold.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
You will be working 10x harder to get it right then the guy in the next lane with EFI. You will spend more money on parts in the end. The carb will not be perfect out of the box and will require alot of modification.

I think you are delibrately pigeon holeing yourself for no reason. It is your money spend it how you like. EFI calibration is not hard to learn.

i don't run meth injection on my car now.
i do run nos dual big shot plates set at 225 hp.
and i may go single turbo.
and most likely will run gas.
all i'm saying is no efi on my car.
and i've have owned my car since 83 and my uncle bought it new
so the car is not ever goin to be sold.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts