Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have this setup with a D3Procharger Bigstuff3, Brodix heads, Bowtie block, 9.5 compression, C16 racefuel with alky injection, roughly 1,400HP. Would like to swap over to either twin 76mm turbos or a big single turbo and E85 on the fuel. The car is a stock suspension 95 F-body on 275 drag radials. The car will only be certified to 7.50 so not trying to break any records. Just something reliable and able to make quite a few passes between rebuilds but it is drag racing. What would you turbo guys reccomend?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
106 mm precision with a g trim turbine wheel and a 1.50 housing. Will spool kinda soft and not completely kill that tire so you can hook it.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
We have this setup with a D3Procharger Bigstuff3, Brodix heads, Bowtie block, 9.5 compression, C16 racefuel with alky injection, roughly 1,400HP. Would like to swap over to either twin 76mm turbos or a big single turbo and E85 on the fuel. The car is a stock suspension 95 F-body on 275 drag radials. The car will only be certified to 7.50 so not trying to break any records. Just something reliable and able to make quite a few passes between rebuilds but it is drag racing. What would you turbo guys reccomend?
A 106 or a pair of 80's would give you plenty of power.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 106 or a pair of 80's would give you plenty of power.
Well I would rather have two 80mm's then one big turbo but what if you already had the pair of 76mm turbos and didn't want to buy another turbo if these will work good. Two 76mms turbo should make 2,000+Hp and the engine isn't built to handle that much power yet. I would need to upgrade the rods for anymorfe then about 1800HP or I would think. LMK Later

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 512" and am using two pt76's with a 96ar and aiming for 1500 on E85 also. Pretty much identical engine. Still slapping it together, so i cant tell you how well it spools, but as far as I could tell/ was told, they would be great for the power target (including spool). As you said, they're good for the power, aren't oversized, and give you a bit of room for growth later.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah well this engine handles 20psi easily but don't know if the steel rods could take 40psi. I was reading how these GT500's add a turbo to the factory blower and make killer TQ/HP everywhere so maybe I should just add a 106mm turbo feeding the Procharger? LOL

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You are going to have a tough time keeping the turbo alive running a single. The prob isn't the compressor, it's the exhuast. With the biggest AR you can find it just won't move enough air to clear out the 512. Spend some time on Garrett's site and an Excel spreadsheet and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah there are guys doing singles on bigger engines but they tend to go through turbos. We ran two 76's on a 555 and ended up with 36psi backpressure in the exhaust with mid size AR#'s so we're moving up to bigger housings just to get the pressure down. That is only on 15psi boost btw.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
You are going to have a tough time keeping the turbo alive running a single. The prob isn't the compressor, it's the exhuast. With the biggest AR you can find it just won't move enough air to clear out the 512. Spend some time on Garrett's site and an Excel spreadsheet and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah there are guys doing singles on bigger engines but they tend to go through turbos. We ran two 76's on a 555 and ended up with 36psi backpressure in the exhaust with mid size AR#'s so we're moving up to bigger housings just to get the pressure down. That is only on 15psi boost btw.
I haven't killed a turbo....... 555 on a 114... I run two 60mm gates. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts