Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys that shoot decently far, what do you use for optics? There are so many options out there and the issue that I'm having is no nearby shops have any decent scopes to look through when you go there, they all have to order them.

I have a Rem 700SS R5 in .308 that I got a few months back. Best scope I could find in the area was a 4x12x50 leopold. I don't have any problem with it, other than I don't think I'd want to shoot much beyond 300 or 400 yards with it. I have another rifle that could certainly use that scope, so I was considering an upgrade.

What do you guys that shoot 500+ yards use for optics? Leopold, Ziess, Nightforce, Nikon, US Optics, Burris, Weaver, etc? There's too many options and I don't wanna totally break the bank, just have a respectable shooter.

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
102,312 Posts
For all you guys that shoot decently far, what do you use for optics? There are so many options out there and the issue that I'm having is no nearby shops have any decent scopes to look through when you go there, they all have to order them.

I have a Rem 700SS R5 in .308 that I got a few months back. Best scope I could find in the area was a 4x12x50 leopold. I don't have any problem with it, other than I don't think I'd want to shoot much beyond 300 or 400 yards with it. I have another rifle that could certainly use that scope, so I was considering an upgrade.

What do you guys that shoot 500+ yards use for optics? Leopold, Ziess, Nightforce, Nikon, US Optics, Burris, Weaver, etc? There's too many options and I don't wanna totally break the bank, just have a respectable shooter.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Narrow it down to those three and you can't go wrong.

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Narrow it down to those three and you can't go wrong.
Sure would be nice if folks around here stocked more than 3x9x40s though. I'd like to look through all three and compare them. I can't order one for fear there'd be a better choice out there....hmmm.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What's your budget and intended purpose? If you're doing target work and lots of clicking, you'll want premium stuff. If you can accept fixed magnification, the original Leupold Mk 4 series(10x or 16x) can be found used for 600-700'ish. This is a $1200 scope new but the tactical shooter crowd has gone variable and so the resale value is reduced. The Weaver T series is acceptable, at a much lower cost. Optics are not as good, but it's not bad. Most folks can't make use of the difference.

Also consider you're going to need to spend some money on premium mounts also. Heavy scopes need good mounting, otherwise your money is wasted. Badger or Mk4 rings and bases, upgraded 8-40 mounting screws are required for serious work. S/F.....Ken M

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sure would be nice if folks around here stocked more than 3x9x40s though. I'd like to look through all three and compare them. I can't order one for fear there'd be a better choice out there....hmmm.

I use a nightforce, but I don't believe you will see the difference in a store environment. You will have to take a leap of faith. The better optics will allow you to read wind patterns down range, and much brighter in low light conditions.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have a night force 12-42x56 nxs with a ch 3 reticle mounted with nf 20moa rail and nf rings i love it i have a burris blach diamond a swarovski on my other bench guns in my opinion nightforcs is the best they are high its worth the money your gun is only as good as the scope

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You will have to take a leap of faith.
That's not what I wanted to here, haha. I been browsing all the online stores and reviews and it's really hard to tell what's best from them, because some folks give $99 BSA's a 5 star rating, know what I mean? I'll look for a good Nikon, Leopold, or Nightforce and cross my fingers. I'm thinking something in an 8x32x50 or 56 will be sufficient, with the larger center tube.

I can't settle with fixed magnification because I'll still use this thing for deer and woodchucks ranging from 50 to 600 or 700 yards. I'm not in a hurry, so for now I'll stick with my 4x12x50 Leopold. It's a clear scope, just not enough magnification in my opinion to shoot decently far with.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Make sure you get a FINE retical.Small targets dissapear behind a normal size retical at those ranges. A prarie dog (coke can size)will hide behind a normal retical at about 375 yds.

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a night force 12-42x56 nxs with a ch 3 reticle mounted with nf 20moa rail and nf rings i love it i have a burris blach diamond a swarovski on my other bench guns in my opinion nightforcs is the best they are high its worth the money your gun is only as good as the scope

Are any of your local gun stores stocking Nightforce scopes? I haven't seen any here locally. I've seen some Swarovski's and US Optics, but no Nightforces.

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you get a FINE retical.Small targets dissapear behind a normal size retical at those ranges. A prarie dog (coke can size)will hide behind a normal retical at about 375 yds.

From what I've read of the Nikon's, this is a major complaint for many....

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
From what I've read of the Nikon's, this is a major complaint for many....
I have shot alot of long range on the dog towns. I like the Leupold,I have tried some others and always come back to it.
4x-12x for the .222-.223
6x-18x for the .22-250
6.5x-20x for the .220 swift and .243
8x-32 Burris for the 6mm Ackley

Note-The Burris would change point of impact between 20x and 32x of about .5 MOA. I sold it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can vouch for Pentax light seeker and a Swarovski scopes, both on 7mm mags and held up. You can see past dark with both of them better than w/ the naked eye.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Be careful if choosing Swarovski.Some of their scopes have the retical in the first focal plane,meaning the retical increases in size as the magnification is increased. Very good optics though.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I'm not long range wiz at this point, .. but I just got a nice Savage 10fp .308, .. it's going to be my 500+ gun, ..
my AR for anything under, ..

I have a few Barska scopes on my Ar's, .. they where inexpensive but I was very impressed with them, ..
and they shoot, hold zero etc great, .
so I'm going to try their swat 10-40 , ..
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=315359

Now there are two, .. one doesn't have the side focus or the lighted recital for $109, .. and it's total junk, ..
however, .. the one listed above has side focus, target turrets and is a DAMN nice scope from what I can tell.
It does have a lighted recital but I just leave the battery out,

I've yet to actually shoot it, too cold, .. but the other Barska I have are friggin great for the money.

Curtis

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be careful if choosing Swarovski.Some of their scopes have the retical in the first focal plane,meaning the retical increases in size as the magnification is increased. Very good optics though.

Swarovski is outta my range, I'm not paying 3x's as much for the scope as the rifle....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Are any of your local gun stores stocking Nightforce scopes? I haven't seen any here locally. I've seen some Swarovski's and US Optics, but no Nightforces.
i orderd it through optics planet i have three nf scopes and love all of them you cant go wrong you can look at the at www.nightforceoptics.com the ch-3 is the smallest ret they have thats the one i like the best of the three i have

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got back from a lgs (that I never really been to) that carries Nightforce, Nikon, Leopold, Swarovski, Bushnell, Ziess, Redfield and some others. Here's what I found....

Swarovski is outta my price range and I didn't even look at them.

They had two different reticles in the Nikons, and I didn't care for either of them. They had the finer crosshair and the bold crosshair. The bold one was too bold, the fine one didn't have anything to make it stand out on dark colored objects. Nice and clear though.

They had the higher end Bushnell that was really nice and seemed like a pretty good bang for the buck, but at $900 I'm gonna buy something better than a Bushnell (it also only had a 40mm lense I think and could be brighter).

The Leopolds are well, you all know, pretty nice and clear.

Ziess....the two that I looked through were pretty nice, but at $1500 for a 32 power, I think I'll keep looking.

Finally the Nightforce 8x32 Benchrest scope....wow! Very clear, I like the lighted reticle and a few of the reticles they had. Even though the centers were small, the lighted reticle really made it easy to locate on a variety of colors. The 56mm lense draws in a pile of light. The Nightforce mounts are awesome. Although a little pricey at $1100 for the Benchrest model, and $1500 for the NXS, I think I may give the NF a chance. Seems like a really well built piece to me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Without set ranges or range finding lasers at the ready, I went from Leupolds to Shepherd for my scopes. Have 3 now (2 newer style and 1 older model which came with the last rifle) and I'm going to add another one to my new Browning A-Bolt in 325 WSM. I'm not shooting matches as much any more and wanted of a hunting scope. Take a look at Shepherd Enterprises, Inc. website, you'll see why I'm using their equipment. They are an excellent and maybe what your looking for. A all around scope.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts