Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help,need to wire a plug at rear of RV for trailer power.The trailer has 50 amp service cord would like keep it 240 volts but can adapt it down to 30 amps,how do you wire it,directly to onan gen or to elect panel box near rear of rv

·
T/S 368E
32,435 Posts

I'm no expert, but I always like an extra breaker box.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
to be proper and legal, you are suppose to have the extra safety ground in the plug that goes to the chassis and the other one directly to gen set.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Need some help,need to wire a plug at rear of RV for trailer power.The trailer has 50 amp service cord would like keep it 240 volts but can adapt it down to 30 amps,how do you wire it,directly to onan gen or to elect panel box near rear of rv
Ok I'll take a gander and risk of flame throwers on this matter. I have several questions for you. Is this for a RV camping OR is this so you can use a generator at the track?They also do make plug adapters for 50 to 30 amps. You can also have a friend make a small pig tail adapter that will work for the exact generator you have. Does your 50 amp plug feed a existing circuit breaker panel. I would think it does. The second thing is there spare space for 2 additional circuit breakers in that panel, ok also some panels you can use mini circuit breakers so adding 2 more circuits may be accomplished. If the answers to both questions is "YES" then its easy. Now a third question on that 50 amp plug how many prongs does it have.
OK now the new 30 Amp information. Yes you can add a 30 amp / 220 volt feed into the panel. You can use a #10 gauge heavy duty cord available from the big box stores (Homie Depot or Lowes they sell it by the foot) You can run the cable from the new installed breakers in the panel to a exterior outlet plug (YES it IS easier for a adapter even if its made up by a friend). You can match the generator plug prongs for the amount of wires in the cord. For a quick way just get a cord with 4 wires. (Black, Red, White and Green). Get a matching plug for the generator. Just a bit of help here WHEN you run the cable make sure it will not cut it on metal frame members or anything. When a cord plugged into a generator most times the cord will burn EVEN if it has a generator mounted breakers.... the governor increases speed and continues to put out power and due to grounding issues it WILL burn everything. Did I say its a hell of a lot easier to make a cord (Like 50 plus feet) adapter for 50 to 30 amps? You could also use it to move the generator away from your pit space.

Chuck
PAE

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
do you need 240 in your trailer, most RV gens only supply 120 volts but have two outputs, i tapped into my power transfer switch and put the fuses or breaker in trailer you need a four conductor wire for this

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
do you need 240 in your trailer, most RV gens only supply 120 volts but have two outputs, i tapped into my power transfer switch and put the fuses or breaker in trailer you need a four conductor wire for this
Ok there are many 240 volt generators, it depends on the size and the cost.

If you have a electric panel. almost every panel is 240 volt (Phase A and Phase B) The trailer and or the user jumpers the phases to make every thing 110 volts. Take the jumper off and now its available for 240 volts.

I got my generator from Sam's Club and it 7,500 watts running and 8,000 surge. It has a 30 amp twist lock plug and it is 240 volts and it has 4 wires. Now remember when I say 7,500 watts. I have available approx 3,750 running watts available.
I also use 2 Honda EU2000I generators after all the racing is done. I run them in tandem (Tied together) so I have about 4,000 watts at 120 volts. This is enough to power the AC and other things in our trailer so we and all our pit neighbors can sleep well. I also have each one of those tied into a 6 gallon outboard fuel tank. This allows it to run for 3 to 4 days without refueling.

Chuck
PAE

·
YB Managing Editor
51,421 Posts
Just go to a Marine store like West Marine. They have all the electrical parts you need including shielded cords.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.installed weather tite 50 amp plug on rear of motor home near hitch,trailer has 50 amp service plug same as my motor home,I have an outlet on garage for the motor home so was trying not use a bunch of adaptors and keep it simple.So I installed a double pole gfi 30 amp beaker in breaker box of motor home,ran 8 gauge flex cable to receptacle,looks decent,functional and can plug into garage with same plug as motor home if needed.

Thanks for all the replies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts