Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since when do you have to spend a minimum of 5 bucks to use your debit card at a convenient store? This is the 3rd place I have gone into (all run by dot heads) that wouldn't let me use my debit card unless I spent $5 minimum. I think there doing it on purpose to make more money.

I went into one to buy a Gatorade and swiped my card. It was $2 and change. The screen prompted me for cash back? I said yes and wanted to pull $10. The ass hole said to me "minimum $5 for cash back". I told him the screen prompted me if I want cash back. Give me my $10.

Last place I went to buy a bag of ice. It was $3. He wouldnt let me pay with my debit card. Left the ice on the table and said well guess you dont need the sale then.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No. Makes perfect sense. They have to pay a fee when you use your card. It is WORSE when it's a debit card. They are tired of losing money. Carry cash...like a man.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
because it cost about .75 cents to run a card. i cant stand when people come in my store and pay with a cc for a fucking dollar. i may as well just give it to you

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I don't blame them at all. I never understood how they could afford to take it on a pack of gum.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
They have to pay a fee to the bank that the debit card is issued by, but a new regulation that just went into effect lowers the amount that the banks can charge the merchant. That is the reason that most banks will now be charging the customer for the use of a debit card, what the bank used to get from the merchants will now come from the card holder.

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So its worth loosing a customer, or potential long time customer over 75 cents? I dont carry cash very often.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Depending on the deal they have with their credit card processor, they may be getting hit with a transaction fee as well as a percentage of the total amount. On a $2.00 amount that could be as high as 45 cents off the top...even before the actual cost of the product, the overhead & labor costs, etc. are being subtracted. :smt102

And, as others pointed out, debit card use often costs the merchant more than credit card use.

We will not take a credit card or debit card for sales under a certain amount...as 61 said...might as well just give it to the customer.

The current generation of 16-25 year olds do not seem to be able to comprehend this or to carry any cash....

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes debit. I didn't think they got charged for debit card use.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
sorry i missed you a carlisle paulie...

No thing, I stopped by twice and then I was too far away when I was getting ready to leave to swing back through. Walking was tough, I have a bunch of tears in the meniscus in my knees and it was acting up.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
because it cost about .75 cents to run a card. i cant stand when people come in my store and pay with a cc for a fucking dollar. i may as well just give it to you
How does it cost you 75 cents to run a card? I remember when I owned my business I got charged a flat fee per swipe(25cents, IIRC) and then a percentage of the rest of the money.

The amount of money companies make off of accepting debit cards very much outweighs the amount "lost".

I leave gas stations that make you pay more if you use a debit card or a card that's not their gas station card. Fuck you that's the price of you doing business and making money off of me.

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats fine. But that would be the cost of doing business. If im fixing a car and break something I eat the cost. It happens.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts